1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Foods for the 6 to 9 month old baby

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sonu_627, Dec 22, 2005.

1. dallascw

dallascw Senior IL'ite

Re: Looking for some lunch ideas

Brown Rice , Tomatoes & Cabbage
    --------------------------------------------------
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 cup onion
    1 cup shredded cabbage
    1 1/2 cups canned tomatoes with juice

Heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion. Add cabbage and cook. Cook and stir for 5 min. Add tomoatoes with juice . Bring to boil. Cover reduce heat and simmer. Blend and puree. Serve with brown rice cereal or cooked rice.

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Raj,
    My suggestion would be to start solids twice a day at lunch and dinner times (ie at the times you would like her to eat regular lunch and dinner when she is bigger). You can BF her after the meal initially and then as she starts eating more eventually you can drop the BF. Space out the other feeds during the rest of the day. After a mnth or so add breakfast too. This is what worked for me and I am now down to 4 BFs a day without any problems. Here is a sample schedule:
    7 am - BF
    10 am - BF
    12.30 - 1 pm - lunch (solids) followed by BF
    4 pm - BF
    6.30 - 7 pm - Dinner (solids) followed by BF
    BF at bedtime - whenever that is + BFs at night as required.
    Around 8 mnths insert breakfast at 8 am and slowly stop the 10 am feed. You can also add a snack at the 4 pm feed.
    HTH.

Vanathi.

3. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

You can try some finger foods like Sweet potato fries for kid to eat.Also just a plain sweet potato is good to start with. And also try to provide sauted veggies.Its always better to start giving some of table foods(cooked softly) without much spice without preparing any special food for baby.This will help baby to get the taste of actual food.
    Try all veggies.Veggies are good for health and digestive system.Try grains like oatmeal, Quiona and Millet.You can get them at whole sale price and they are very good source of protein.

Thanks
    Mangai

4. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Meeta - this is a link for some baby dessert recipes - I've tried a few and Aadhu seemed to like it, maybe Aarya will too Just desserts

Vanathi.

5. shalusaini

shalusaini New IL'ite

hi
    U can try dalia (porridge) . U can make it sweet or like pulav adding some vegetables like potato . peas , carrot . This is also very nutritious . Try khichi made with rice and moong chilka dal . U can add ghee to these also. If ur child like sweet then make suzi ki kheer with suzi n milk. It only takes 2-3 min.
    My son loved all these things. u can carry it out also. I personally do not like formula food i gave my son these things only. Khichdi n dalia can be served with ghee curd or milk. Both of them is also good 4 u also if u want to lose weight. i used to eat either of them daily in lunch with any vegetable , dal or curd. Try them...

Shalu

6. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Thanks, Vanathi. I just fed some rice cereal+ pureed peas for lunch and topped it off with BFing. She's sleeping now. Yaaaay!!! I may make her some khichdi for dinner.

Here's another question for you (Meeta is going to kick me for hijacking her thread every now and then :oops:) - how will I know how much to feed solids. Right now, I feed her until she turns her face to the other side and don't look interested anymore. Is that the right way?

Raj

7. meeta shah

meeta shah Senior IL'ite

Hi vanathi, DallasCW, Mangai and Shalu
    Thanks for sharing your ideas with me. I will update you all as I follow it. Raj, you are more than welcome to ask your question. Sorry, I couldn’t reply you earlier as you know my IL’s are here and I am not able to find enough time.

I am agreeing with Vanathi about introducing solid at lunch and dinner time. About the quantity, I would say do as you are doing. Offer until she wants to eat. I have noticed that slowly Aarya is changing her schedule by herself. And I think that as she will grow up her body will decide how much liquid she needs and how much solid. So, in Aarya’s case I usually follow her cues and try to be consistent so she’ll know that what she is going to get next.

Her eating schedule is
    7:30 – Milk.
    8:30 – If she hasn’t drink enough milk than I usually offer her some oatmeal with formula otherwise nothing
    11:30 – Solid
    12:30 – Milk
    4:30 – Milk
    5:30 – Solid
    7:00 – Milk

I hope this helps…After month or so, I am thinking to swith her to 3 bottles a day...

Thanks
    Meeta

8. meeta shah

meeta shah Senior IL'ite

Vanathi, How spice do you make your rasam? Sometimes I feel like if I add ghee to her food, she doesn't drink much milk..

How old was your LO when they started holding glass and drank from it properly? I am trying to give Aarya water in glass but she is not able drink from it...

One more question...Lately it seems like Aarya is enjoying her milk more in her sleep. For example today I fed her solid, than bath and than gave milk before putting her to bed. She didn't seem much interested in milk so I put her for a nap. After 15 minutes when I went to check on her, she was sucking on her thumb so, I thought of feeding her and she gulped down whole bottle...Not sure if this is ok and she did same thing yesterday before the bed. She also doens't react much when she will be hungry. She will keep playing until I offer her milk....

Thanks
    Meeta

9. meeta shah

meeta shah Senior IL'ite

Raj, How you are planning to make khichadi? Maybe I can try sometime too....

10. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Thanks, Meeta.

Here's what I am thinking for Khichdi (got ideas from various people from this site) - 1/4 cup of rice and moong dal (with chilka) mix
    two tablespoons of chopped up spinach
    a pinch of jeera powder
    and pressure cook

Riya doesn't like too much texture yet, so I will puree it all with a hand blender. Add 1/2 a tsp of ghee while serving. Hope she likes it.

Also, my dentist told me it's not advisable to give a bottle (or juice) to a baby while sleeping - it will cause cavities. I am not sure if you did that, but thought I'll let you know.

Raj