1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Milk flavors and other feeding suggestions

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by viki123, Jun 5, 2015.

1. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

Hi All,
    My 1 year old DOS hates to drink milk, hardly he takes 3 oz of milk in a sippy, sometimes he takes 6oz, that too if he is super hungry and he know that there no other option other than milk. His preference is purely based on his taste, if I mix strawberry syrup in his milk he will drink complete 6oz, that to lasts for 2-3 days, then he gets bored of it and doesn’t take until I change the flavor. Can you all suggest what can I mix in his milk? I don’t want to start chocolate until he is at least 2.
    My ped suggested giving his pediasure at night time only, as he is eating his solids well. Which he takes 4 oz before bed after a lot of running behind him & all other drama

His solid intake is well he eats almost everything without any fuzz.
    Fruits, roasted veggies, idli, dosa , cheese toats, veggie cutlet etc he eats on his own. Other mashed food and yogurt I feed him with spoon. He has started going to day care since yesterday and there no feeding issue since he is still in infant section. He will be moved to toddler section after 18 months, by then he has to feed on his own.
    Could you please suggest me what can I send him in lunch that would be easy for him to eat on his own?

Thanks

2. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Viki123,

This is not an answer to your post but qn -

My Lo is abotu same age - 11 months. I want her to have milk/fluids with sippy cups but she does not. I have all sorts of sippy cups and I am trying to give her water from 6 months. While feeding solids, I keep sippy cup for try and habit, and give in spoons.
    This way travelling is difficult and anyways milk from bottle is not good as he already has 10 teeth out.
    Also how much milk do you give? Mine is still taking 30 ounces which is too much per doc. But she drinks

3. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

Hi Sanju

When ever i ready a post i remember a saying in telugu "Sita kastalu sitavi...pita kasatalu pitavi". Which means every one has their own problems.

My son hates milk, even a baby he used to have 2-3 oz from bottle but used to BF when ever i was at home. I introduced sippy at 5 months to give water when feeding, it took him around 5 days to get used it. Since he was not taking bottles at 7 months (he rejected suddenly, used to cry when ever he saw the bottle) i started giving milk on sippy, he used take milk in that and but 4oz max. At 9 he was low weight not taking milk but showed instrest in solids so I increased his solid intake.

At present he takes 10-12oz of milk per day, only 2 times. My goal is giving him at least 18 oz but he doesn't take.

4. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Viki

Is it 10-12oz today total in a day? What did you ped say?He should be about 24-28oz ..no? If he likes solids, give him lot of yogurts,cheese I think but talk to ped first.

Just a thought , could it be sippy cups he has to out effort to suck in?

My ped had said, she might be refusing milk by now as they want independence plus they eat more solids but my case is opposite.

You are right.. Here I want to reduce the milk intake, so solids can go up but not able to.

5. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

@sanjuruby3 - How many times does your LO feed milk per day? I suggest you do not cut down the number of times she feeds per day but reduce the quantity per feed. And don't do this for the last feed of the day as I think that will help her sleep through the night. Just reduce the quantity for the day time feeds. For example, if you are giving her 8oz 3 times per day, reduce that to 4-5oz but keep the last feed of the day (before bed) to 8oz. I believe this should make her take more solids during day gradually.

@viki123 - I just want to share with you what I heard from my colleague and not sure if this will help your situation. My colleague said that her kids (aged 13 and 5) never liked milk after she weaned them off from BM as babies. But they love yogurt. So, she said she makes sure they have yogurt and cheese every single day. Apart from this, she also gives them unsweetened whipped cream (she buys unwhipped and whips them before serving) and it seems they just love it. BTW, all these milk products are from organic whole milk. She swears that whipped cream, cheese and yogurt provides calcium and other nutrients that they might miss from organic whole milk.

BTW, I never gave a thought about what is the right amount of solids vs. milk for my baby :-( My almost 8 month old drinks >32oz per day apart from solids. I give formula 8oz as the last feed before bed to help him sleep through the night and the rest is BM. And I feed solids only twice per day. Planning to increase it to 3 from this week. Is this fine or should I give solids 4 times per day?

6. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@viki123 If he has cheese, yogurt then you don't need to worry much about milk intake. Store bough syrups are loaded with sugar, artificial colors and preservatives. So it is best to avoid them. Home made milk shakes are better. With different fruits you are sure to provide variety.

@sandhya13 Follow your baby's cues. Each child is different and what worked for one mom may not necessarily work for you. Start with 3 solid meals before moving on to 4. Ideally 4 would be introduction of snack with 3 meals.

7. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@Sanju,
    I discussed this with my ped has asked me to increase his other milk based foods intake like cheese, yogurt ect, After 1 year he suggest pediasure. It not sippy i am sure, This morning he completed 6oz of milk in sippy, no flavors added. I think its just his moods. He takes 10oz Yogurt, and 1 string cheese stick daily. In additions to
    other fruits and veggies. I add milk to his portidge (Raggi) and he likes it.

@Sandhya: Thanks for that info my son had Milk as long as my BM supply was good. Once it stopped, he stopped milk and increased his solid intake.
    I would say follow your baby's clue for feeding, every baby is different.

@Ramyaramani:
    He eats yogurt and cheese daily, and he loves it. I make sure there us milk product in each meal for him. I add milk in Break fast Raggi, Lunch and Dinner includes 4oz yogurt which he completes. Morning sanck has Lassi and Evening snack is fruit and cheese. In addition to these i give him 6oz milk in morning and evening which is takes some times.
    He is very lean but strong and active. Previously i used to add fruits but but he is rejecting it, recently i saw organic strawberry sauce with no sugars and tried it.

8. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

@viki123 , @ramyaramani - Thank you! That's exactly what I am doing.. I am just following his cues and make sure he gets enough nutrition..

9. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

@viki123 - This sounds great to me. I think he gets enough calcium and protein from his food even though he doesn't take milk regularly. You are doing a great job.. Just go with the flow :thumbsup And some babies will be lean even after eating well and this might be due to genetics and being very active. So nothing to worry as long as his Pead doesn't say so..

I have a question. When you give ragi to your son, do you use the store brought ragi flour or do you mill your own by dry roasting whole ragi?