1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

how to pack home made food for air travel?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sanjuruby3, Apr 22, 2015.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi

We are travelling to India with baby in peak summers and she will be 1 then. We have long international flights with DXB stopover, then domestic to our native.

Air lines do provide packaged gerber food. I was wonder how can I pack homemade food myself. I have seen parents at airports feeding for their containers. But that was when I was not mommy and I had not looked with those eyes.

I have not given her canned purees etc yet. Only dry cereals/gerber puffs/cookies as snacks.

If not for full travel, but at least for 1 time, I want to pack her food. That one time meals time will be at least 12 hrs away + time to cook/pack at home as we have late night flight.

If I cook porridge/purees, how can I pack it? then get it checked in with hand baggage.

Do I need thermos flasks or ice packs?

How do you guys manage? what kind of stuff I need? Any useful gadgets in the market? I go, browse and get confused and come out of super stores/.
    I am thinking of buying bananas/avocados from security but my LO still can not eat mashed food much and starts gagging.

2. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

you can pack all you want but in reality LO will not eat anything. The long flight is very dehydrating, she will prefer formula or juice. if you want pack some dry snack type items like cheerios for her to play with.

1 person likes this.
  3. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Does she eat wheat cereal or rice cereal.that is the easiest to pack. You can get hot water or milk in the flight , mix it when needed and make her eat. Make sure you ask for hot water or milk just before you disembark at the stopover. This will be good time to make her eat.

Packed stuff will be cold and if you put in hot pack , food may get spoilt after few hours.

So take fresh fruits and cereal ,formula, dry finger foods which she likes.

if you want to take only cooked food. Keep it with ice packs , take hot water in plane , mix it so it becomes warm and feed.

4. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

@1sandhya has said it all. There is absolutely no need to cook and pack for flight trip. My son did not eat that much during his flight and survived on formula alone. I did give him mashed gerber banana that was available in the flight. That was the first time and of course the last time he had gerber pureed food out of bottle. If you want solids just take some cereals ( oat/ rice) but again don't panic if she doesn't eat. That's normal. They swing back once you reach your destination.

5. sanjuruby3

Thanks girls...

That means I can pack all the dry stuff in ziplocks for checkin. I will pack some of those roasted/ground grains(oats/moong daal/sorghum etc) in ziplocks for flight. Being roasted, I will not have to worry about cooking much and add in hot water and stir.

My girl has been eating homemade cereals - ground oats and other grains. I cook them with water on stove and add salt. ..like porridge.

For forumla, Can I take open powder ( just for flight usage)in our own tupper ware containers? It is difficult to carry big box and even use in flight.

6. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

I would not risk taking home made food as you would not have any fridge and homemade purees etc have to be stored cold (and then heated). Fruits and dry stuff (like bisquits) can be taken but then there is the hassle in the security.

7. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Before you go, see if you can make the cereals you mentioned without boiling on a stove. See if it cooks with just boiling water. You do not want to get stuck on a plane with raw food. If it does not work, just for the sake of the flight, buy some gerber rice or oats cereal. To this you can add powdered formula (and yes, you can carry it in your own container... or alternatively, you can buy the travel packs) and hot water. Carry an empty flask with you and when you board and the seat belt sign is off, ask the crew to fill the flask for you. This will be handy as you will not need to get up and hope to get hot water every time you need it.

8. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

hi, i travel to india when my son was one yr old... that time i got his two bottles with formula the whole bottle in one of the carry one and in little container i just put enough for 2,3 servings.. and i ask the attendents to get it warm for me.. they didnt gave us baby jar food but its not like what kids usually eat.. so i took with me some of the baby food jar which he likes to eat.but on the whole i was giving him milk.

they also did gave us the smoothies in the pounch but its not the kind all kids eat.but what all he ate in 1st yr is all milk... and make sure do take some snacks...... banana, yes i did take them..just make sure you pack your food in ziplocks so its safe and easy to take it out... but as far i remember when travelling with baby they did check much as they know we all will be carrying baby food..

when we went to india when he is 2 yr old i took some lemon rice as he eats that and some boiled eggs... rice yes we can feed them in the first flight.. but eggs they are spoiled... if you taking something from home make sure you just take enough for 2,3 times not a lot as its hard to carry on.

9. sanjuruby3

Thanks Breeze01,

1. I was thinking taking 5-6 empty clean bottles and try not reusing them in the full journey ..this is not easy because of long travel till home.

2.Then FF -She will probably have 6 times and I plan to take 10 times FF. Many times It goes waste. Did you take those FF dispensers ( munchkin brand I think), which is open Formula..Any issues from TSA in taking open Formula? I was thinking of diving FFs in multiple small tupperware containers, but do not know about airport issues. If I should carry sealed box in carry on or full open box is allowed or has to be ziplocked.

10. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

@sanjuruby3, it warms my heart to know you are feeding your kid only home-made cereals. However it's not a good idea to take the roasted ground cereal and mix hot water and feed. The cereal will not be cooked enough. You don't want a baby with a tummy ache in the air!

All the posters have given excellent suggestions. My kids ate only home-made cereal but for travel I had the gerber oats with banana cereal to which you add formula plus water. Other dry snacks that you have should be sufficient.

You shouldn't have a problem with the formula. I ran into some issues at Heathrow but as you wouldnt be going there, no cause for concern.

You need to act very confident and assured at the airport check in. That by itself can nip potential problems in the bud :)