1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

When do kids start eating roti sabji, how to teach them to eat the curry?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by cooks2010, Apr 20, 2015.

1. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Hello,

My daughter is 16 months old and loves to eat. She loves food. However, I am not sure how to teach her to eat roti sabji / shaak/curry and not sure at what age its appropriate for me to teach her.

She watches us eat roti / sabji with our hands. She usually eats plain roti and I will always serve whatever sabji we are having. When we ask her to dip the roti into the vegetable curry, she will dip a little and try it. But doesnt eat much, or dip a lot to get the curry or saabji.

She likes dal /rasam and when I serve in a bowl, she will have it with a spoon plain...which is fine. When I make chicken curry, I give her pieces of chicken and she has that. I also give her parathas stuffed with veggies, which she likes.

But she doesnt pick up any of the curries with the roti, she just has plain roti and will eat the curry plain depending upon if she likes it.

Is this normal at this age? should I emphasize to her that she use the roti like a scoop to pick up sabji, or just let her eat as shes doing now.

When did your kids start eating roti-curry together like us with our hands?
    thanks,
    Cooks.

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

@cooks2010, mine at age 3 still doesn't like dipping roti in the curry for eating. I mix curries in her rice or make stuffed parathas so that she is getting her daily dose of vegetables.

3. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Rakhi!!. I guess I will let her eat the way she is eating for now.

Cooks

4. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

My older one started eating roti with curry only at 6. The younger one, who is much older than yours still does the same as your kid does. However she will eat if I put the curry in roti and roll it. She eats curry separately though and also munches on raw veggies.

You could try rolling up curries in rotis like a frankie or make parathas with veggies. Smearing veggie chutney (made with less spices) is another option.

5. SilverNGold

SilverNGold Bronze IL'ite

Congrats on taking the "American" approach to feeding your kid- letting your kid self feed from a young age and also decide what she'd like to eat (within reason), how she'd like to eat it, and how much she'd like to eat.

Don't worry about if she dips the the roti in the curry or subji. Let her eat the roti however she wants until she chooses. My daughter is 4 and likes plain roti also. She doesn't like curry or subji but she does like chutney. I let her eat whatever she wants however she wants and as much or little as she wants. The most important thing is that they develop a positive attitude towards eating and food.

1 person likes this.
  6. mathiravi

mathiravi Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

My 4 year old is still reluctant with anything wet on his roti, idli and dosa when he eats by himself. He loves to eat them as such. I make stuffed paratha and at times feed him to make sure he gets the required nutrients from vegetables!

7. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Eat your lunch/dinner along with her.
    She will gradually follow your example!
    Kids never do what parents SAY. They do what parents DO !

2 people like this.
  8. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Haa Haaa....yes I agree!!, I forget sometimes, to follow that example.

Cooks

9. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My daughter (3.5 years) does not like the roti becoming soggy and sticky after dipping it in sabji. So she prefers plain roti.

My son (19 months) likes to eat everything with a dip. If I dont serve him sabzi, then he will point to the plate sides and ask me to put something.

It all depends on the kid. One day she might suddenly start doing it.

2 people like this.