1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

when to feed dinner to baby?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sanjuruby3, Mar 6, 2015.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi

My baby is 8 mon+ old.

I am writing to find out how you are managing you babies and their food schedule.It is getting very difficult for me to keep up with all the work now. I am losing all my energies.

Here is my problem .
    At 8 months, I want to feed her 4 meals no matter how small they are. Day time, our nanny takes care of her. I come home by 6 PM. I bathe her on alternate days after coming from office. Also she naps in the evening around same time.

Thing is I want to feed her solids by 6:30 - 7pm and about 7:30 - 8 pm is her milk time.
    So the days I bathe her or she naps for longer or I spend time in cooking solids for her ( which are not pre-cooked& ready many times ), her meals are skipped. It gets late and I have to feed her milk in bottle.

This is happening most of the days now and weekends are no better.
    What are suggestions and experiences so I do not skip her dinner? How and when are you feeding ? Do you feel milk after 9 pm? I still dream feed her at 11 pm once.

2. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

I never really looked at the time with my babies. When they approached that age I started to feed when we had dinner. Sometimes (depending on what we were eating) the baby ate same food (took separately before adding salt/spices and used a hand mixie or fork to mash), sometimes I used the baby food that I had made (and put in the freezer). Occassionally also bought commercial baby foods. I made bigger batches of food, pureed and kept in small portions in the freezer. The solids at that age are not so important so skipped sometimes and gave only milk.

3. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Have simple meals like khichdi or roti milk at night which do not take lot of time and are ready in a jiffy

4. sanjuruby3

Same is my problem. So many times her dinner is skipped because of various reasons - she sleeps, or delays because of baths, cooking or simply because i am too tired.

5. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

can you feed first, and then bathe baby? in half-sleep also she can be bathed.

Or first thing after coming from work, can u cook her food, and feed. Please see porridge recipes in this forum, which doesn't need much preparation, you can keep the coarse powders ready in the weekend and only cook porridge, by the time it gets ready u can change, and even finish baby's bath.

6. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

Hi Sanjuruby3,

Since our babies are of similar age this is what i do to make sure is he on schedule. His timing might change some time by 30-60 minutes but i make sure he takes his meals.

I always have easy to prepare foods at home like banana, papaya, yogurt, yogurt melts, teething biscuits, puffs etc.
    I make porridge powders, tomato rasam on weekends, veggie purees (squash i make a batch for 2 week and freeze), carrots , apples & pear sauce once in three days .

Here is my schedule
    Wake up around 7. I change his diaper and put him on the floor with toys or he dad takes care of him if he is cranky. During that time, I make is Raggi porridge (5 min to make) or iddli and other kitchen work. If he is too hungry or we woke up late i give him banana & apple sauce, else raggi with apple sauce or bread with apple sauce. Now he started finger food so I put some toasted bread on his plate while I cook his breakfast.
    Lunch around 12, Nanny Makes is with sattu powder & puree veggies (carrots) & 2 oz yogurt. It takes 15 min to make.
    4 pm snack, fruits, milk or Yogurt followed by finger food, yogurt melts or puffs.
    I reach home by 5:30, while my nanny is there, I put his dinner pot with sattu powder and veggie ( I use frozen veggie. If I have time I use other fresh veggie). While that is cooking (15 min), I bathe him and he takes nap sometime between from 6 – 7. At 7 I feed him dinner.
    One thing I make sure is his meal time is priority and no other work during that time. Some time it gets disturbed, at time, I give him some finger food while I prepare food, or give some available food at home.

Hope this helps.

7. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Sanju, what helps is setting a time aside for dinner. Like if the time is 6 PM, dinner takes priority over everything else. Rest all can wait, including his bath time.

8. CoolIndianGirl

CoolIndianGirl Bronze IL'ite

sorry to steal the thread.. do u guys give bath to baby daily.. ? i bath him two days once.. ofcourse diaper area, hands, legs, face and neck will be washed separately after he comes frm day care in my kitchen sink but not like bathing.. does bathing includes washing their hair too??. my son has lot lot of hair and i m scared to wash it during night since he may get cold.. i have not used hair dyer yet in his hair.. sorry btw my son is 17 month old

9. sanjuruby3

@coolIndianGirl
    I bathe my 8mon old on alternate days. Too much work and tension for everyday. Moreover its cold here... Days I bathe her, from morning onwards I will keep planning and thinking. :-(

Setting up her tub, then wash up afterwords overhead..pheewwww

I wash her diaper area everyday and face also. Hair bath I used to do every time with bath but now- a days I just pour water on her head and do not use soap. She does let me touch her face ( while bathing) with soap & water so I have to wet her hair. I try to towel dry it but I know it stays wet for a long time...

I have to bathe her in the evening, no other time...I crank up the heater before bathing her. No dryer... It does get suffocating for me in all this running and hurry.

10. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

When my baby was 8 months old, we used to feed her at 6pm. Then give her bath every night and then feed her milk around 7:30-8pm, she would go to sleep. Then we would have dinner around 8:30- 9pm.

But then, many nights she would wake up in a hour or so and our dinner would be disturbed. So now, she eats with us, we eat early around 7-7:30pm with her. She eats what we eat or a little milder version of what we eat. Then we wait for her to do potty, then bath her and she sleeps around 8:30-9pm.

Try to make food for your baby first as soon as you get home from work, try to prep things a day before or in the morning before you leave for work. Then feed her and eat along side with her. If she doesnt let you eat, then give her some cheerios, banana or other finger food to keep her busy, then you can eat.

I also wet her hair daily and just towel dry. I dont use hair dryer...it does stay moist a little, its fine...it will dry. I also use an electric heater in her room and have a humidifier running so the air doesnt get too dry. Its still very cold, but finally getting warmer a little!!

Cooks