1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Giving sugar to 4month old??

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Prihegde, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Prihegde

Prihegde New IL'ite

My little one started on solids recently and we mixed little sugar with his food he loved it instantly and finishes it up.MIL made a brilliant idea (oh really!!! :( ) by mixing formula milk with sugar to encourage him to drink more(takes 4oz every 3hours) .Now he refuses the plain formula milk and demands sugar to be added to it? is this right ? will this lead to any serious consequences? Please advice.

2. Prihegde

Prihegde New IL'ite

62views and no reply..Advice Please

3. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Sugar should not be given to a baby. Babies like sugar (b-milk is actually quite sweet) and by giving sugar the baby will demand for it. Leave the sugar gradually.

1 person likes this.
  4. abinayamadhavan

abinayamadhavan Silver IL'ite

sugar s not advisable at this stage. why do you mix sugar to the formula? you know you are supplying empty calories to the baby. With formula, sugar is not required. if you start any sweets at this stage, the baby will like the sugary taste and will need a sweet taste in all the foods.

The same happened for my son, my inlaws used to mix palm sugar to his formula even when he was 3.5 month old and now he s 2.4 years old, still he doesnt eat anyting without sugar. still i am trying all ways to eliminate sugar. I myself is not a fan of eating sugary foods, not that i don't like them, but eating sugar will cause several health hazards.

So my advise is stop it immediately. if you are gonna give ragi you can mix with palm sugar ie panankalkandu and give. it has calcium. but not necessary to mix it with all foods like formula.

5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

OP, many of the moms are also from North America. So I guess not all of us have seen the thread yet to give suggestions :). We are getting there, give us a day.

In India, a few moms mix sugar with formula to make it sweeter and appealing to the baby. That is not the right way to make milk appealing. To be honest, there is no need for solids before he turns 6 months. The nutrition he gets from breast milk and formula is plenty.

Now that he is hooked to sugar, you need to slowly start weaning him off that. I would start with gradually reducing the quantity. Stopping the sugar at once will cause a lot of grief as the baby would refuse to feed. Reduce gradually and come to a point where all he drinks is regualr milk with no added sugar.

1 person likes this.
  6. resmij

resmij Silver IL'ite

not advisable to give sugar.

7. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Sugar is not advisable, for such a young baby. My daughter is 1 yr old and I have not added sugar to any of her foods yet. She may get sugar from her cheerios, puffs or biscuits, but not plain table sugar.

Try to slowly wean your baby off of sugar, till he again likes plain formula as Rakhi has suggested.

Cooks

8. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

My son's pediatrician had told us that even when we start giving solids to start with rice cereal, then veggies, and finally fruits. Juice was the last thing to be given. The reason he gave was that once the baby likes the taste of fruits and juice - meaning sweet stuff - he will never like the veges. My son tasted sugar for the first time when he was 1 year old - as the icing on his birthday cake...and he hated it. Many years have passed, and he likes sweet stuff like every other kid, but till date will never touch milk if there is sugar added to it.