1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

dry fruits and nuts to baby?at what age?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sanjuruby3, Feb 26, 2015.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Can we give dry fruits and nuts to babies by roast grinding them and adding to meals?

I know I have seen many recipes around with peanuts but wanted to check with other nuts also - almonds or walnuts.

Also what kind of nuts to buy for babies recipes:
    hormone fed big roasted peanuts with peels on from american grocery stores or unroasted and peeled tiny ones from Indian stores.

Almonds can be soaked and ground into meals.

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I started with soft raisins Sanjuruby. That was around the time when she was able to eat food without gagging. penuts were introduced to her first into chutneys that I make for Dosa. Walnuts/pecans/pines etc were used when I made Basundi. So around 12-18 months of age.

3. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

If you want to add nuts I would suggest going with peanuts from the Indian store. Nuts and dry fruits can be very heavy to digest so suggest giving it apart from the meal.

Also I hope you are aware that in the US doctors advise to stay away from nuts until 2 years of age.

4. sanjuruby3

I read some baby-food recipes for home made cereals ( on this forum). This included
    ground daals (moong and other grains) and ground nuts.

Also some raagi flour recipes (kaanji) included dates etc.
    I am still thinking to wait for nuts yet.

5. silpajames

silpajames New IL'ite

I do have a question ..when do u stop purees to your lo ?

6. sanjuruby3

I think when you child can start using his jaw to chew and break the food and can swallow it, we can give solid forms. We can start with softer foods like blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and even puffs for babies, or glucose biscuit pieces. It could be as early as 8 months as I seen in videos but mine is still on purees. She gags even on khichadis.

So I would also wait for someone else to answer.

7. CoolIndianGirl

CoolIndianGirl Bronze IL'ite

i m giving my son almonds and pecans in his kanchi powder that was around 10 months.. started giving him raisins when he was 14 month old.. for past three months i m giving raisins daily... he is a fuzzy eater so i will give lot of dates, honey mixed in milk, raisins.. fortunately he likes kanchi powder i make so that has also helped me to be tension free (i m not sure if he is eating necessity nutritions but if he takes egg, dry fruits and nuts i feel that he had enough nutrition he wanted and i will sleep properly). But everything i tried very small quantity first made sure he is not allergic or givng bad reaction to those foods..

8. sanjuruby3

@CoolIndianGirl - can you share how to make anf give kanchi powder? I am hearing this word for the first time and interested in it. I googled after reading your post. Seems it needs lot of stuff? do you get everything in US?

9. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

I started adding ground nuts (almonds, walnut and cashew) to my baby's oatmeal after she turned a year old. I also add ground flax seed and wheat germ to her parathas, pancakes and fritters.

I add raisins to her cookies or sometimes give them to her plain to eat. All of this I started after one year.

@ silpajames, I stopped purees at 8 months and started giving lumpy, textured foods.

Cooks

10. CoolIndianGirl

CoolIndianGirl Bronze IL'ite

@Sanjuruby3 there are various versions of sattu mavvu kanchi. You can search in IL for different varieties. I tried and i came up with my own version which my son likes it. It is not authentic kanchi powder.

1) Ponni Boiled Rice - 1 cup
    2) Ragi - 1 cup (This time i tried sprouted ragi and he didnt like it)

3) Barley - 1/2 cup (i add barley because i started givng him dry ginger, pepper and dania with his milk during night as he goes to day care and gets running nose and ear infection always. i found this working for me)

4) Jowar - 1/2 cup
    5) Wheat flour - 1/4 cup (too much of wheat flour taste was not good. this is very much optional)

Dry roast all the ingredients and grind it.
    6) roasted gram - 1 cup (When i tried adding green moong dhal he didnt like it)

7) Grind Almonds and pecan - one hand full (it will be say 30 almond and 20 pecan)
    8) grind Honey nut Cheerios - 2 cups (Trust me it gives good taste )

Mix all together without lumps and store in air tight container. I will make sure to roast it very well.

Salt version:

Take two big spoons of kanchi powder mix with water boil it with out lumps and
    lil pinch of salt as it will be sweet becuase of cheeios and nuts. serve him either semi solid or like drinking depends on his mood.

Sweet version:

I will mix honey and ghee and make it as ladoo (something like besan ladoo) and give him. this is the snack when we go out. (Make sure to fry very well).