1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

when to start real milk & yogurt to baby

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sanjuruby3, Jan 17, 2015.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

My ped said I can give few drops of boiled real milk for taste but not a lot.
    My baby is now 6 months.
    Anyone in US gave real milk to baby and in what form? what form - means just milk or in porridge etc.

We get canned and pasteurized milk here, not real real milk.

what about yogurt? My doc okayed to it.

2. mathiravi

mathiravi Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

My Paed suggested my son whole milk only when he turned 1year old. Until then, he was on my feed. Yogurt, yes i used to feed him since his 8 month. Try some organic yogurt like stony field, may be a couple of spoons and then increase quantity.
    As far as whole milk is concerned, my paed gave a green flag only when he turned a year old. I tried horizon organic milk for him from his one year until he turned 2.5 yr old and after that he is ok with the normal pasteurized milk that we drink.

I trust even in India, Paed is not suggesting whole milk until children are 8 months old at least.

3. sanjuruby3

Did you thin out the whole milk with water for digestion as breastmilk is thin?

4. Harithag

Harithag Gold IL'ite

sanjuruby, i BF DD till one year and along with that started giving diluted cow's milk from 7th month.But its just 50ml or so once in a day.also added cow's milk in porridge and fruit purees. At 9 months,started curd rice.All these are suggested by paed in India.

One of my friend's DD has Iron deficiency when she was 18 months as she was BF 6 months only.

BF or formula is a must till 1yr.

5. mathiravi

@Sanjuruby3 :

Yes, I thinned out the milk before boiling. Even now i give thinned out milk with at least less than a 1/4 cup of water. Never use the thick milk even for adults.

6. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@sanjuruby Please get it double checked with your paed. I am surprised that a paed in US is giving 'go-ahead' for introducing cows milk before child turns 1.

Yogurt and cheese can all be introduced before baby turns 1. But cow's milk is a big no-no here.

7. mathiravi

Well said @ramyaramani:

Even doctors in India dont suggest whole milk for less than a year. I was amazed to see this thread.. thats the reason i dropped in to see how people are responding to OP 's query!

8. sanjuruby3

Hi @ramyaramani - My ped had said just few drops of boiled milk and no need to boil if pasteurized. This is just so she stays to the taste.

But I have not really started giving her yet as such. But did not like the thought of making porridge etc in formula So I mix crushed rusk to boiled & thinned milk and give her 1/2 baby spoons after few days.

She does like yogurt a lot. Which cheese is given to babies??

9. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@sanjuruby Paneer is a safe cheese to start with. The salt component is less.