1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

6 months old baby not gaing weight. Please help!

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Radical, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Radical

Radical Silver IL'ite

Hello All,

My son is 6 months 2weeks. We live in UK. Yesterday I had his weight checked, he has gained only 100 grams in one month. I am extremly depressed, not knowing what to do. His health visitor was not too worried but she adviced me to change his diet and introduce varieties of food like fruits, veggies, rice, dhal, chapathi..etc

1. Milk - I am BF only in night, in the day I give him formula. Problem is he just doesnt like formula. He struggle to drink 3oz, he pushes bottle away, or just spit it out from side of his mouth. To drink this quantity he takes 2hrs. I am frustrated by the end. I tried sippy cup, he just bities. Any suggestions on this please

2. Solid - So far,
    Breakfast - store bought apple and blue berry porridge mixed with formula milk.
    Mid afternoon- Boiled carrot mixed with formula milk
    Lunch - store bought rice cereal mixed with formula milk.
    @4 pm- Raagi sari
    Evening- boiled apple mixed with formula milk
    Dinner - formula milk

Where am I going wrong.

Can any one please guide me on recipies praticularly videos on how to prepare baby food.
    I dont know much of cooking, I am very scared where I will not cook properly, what if hurts his tummy, I have no one to guide me. I am extremly worried.
    I couldn't sleep last night. Please any one help me.

Thanks in advance
    Radical

2. shrivni

shrivni Silver IL'ite

Dear,

With everything you are mixing formula milk, which he doesn't like at all.

Just give him,

boiled and mashed apple( with some sugar, if he doesn't like it as it is)
    boiled and mashed potato
    mashed rice with veg/non veg soups with very less spices, like, a pinch of ginger garlic, a pinch of turmeric, a pinch of salt, 1 piece of onion etc.,
    sweet lime juice - make this with hot water
    boiled and mashed carrot etc.,

I did all this for my baby. .. and she never reduced weight.

Donlt worry.... :)

3. muthucharam

muthucharam New IL'ite

Hi.. Better it is advisable to avoid curd n banana during cold. Kids will suffer n will cough more. But glfew do give... It's personal experiences
    Tc

4. Radical

Radical Silver IL'ite

Thanks shrivini. Can you please share steps to prepare veg soup. What veggies I can add to make soup.

5. shari2003

shari2003 Silver IL'ite

Hi,

My daughter is of the same age as your kid. She also does not like formula milk and keeps spitting unless she is really hungry. If she's hungry she drinks 1 Oz and then starts spitting. So, I have introduced a variety of solids and keep changing them also as she looks for variety. Another thing I've noticed in her is that she doesnt eat a lot at a time and takes smaller potions. Why dont you try that as well?
    I feed her Cerelac, rice mixed to a paste-like consistency with a little butter and boiled moong dal, idli with formula, roti with formula, apples boiled and mashed, ragi porridge with palm sugar, banana, carrot, potato, sweet potato etc. Try smaller quantities of solids at lesser intervals. It might help. Also, since the doc said not to worry too much, dont worry :)

6. Radical

Radical Silver IL'ite

Thank you so much shari. I will surely try. Thing is I havent yet started with rice, dhal, idly or dosa.

May be these food will help.

7. shrivni

shrivni Silver IL'ite

Sure Dear!

Just add one shallot, 1/2 tomato, one pinch ginger garlic, 1/4 teaspoon jeera, a pinch of pepper powder and as much as veggies that you can add with enough water and salt. Put everything together and pressure cook it, the more the water boils and the veggies gets cooked it is good. you can also mash the veggies with rice and give it to your LO.

And another point is, she will eat only little, may be 1 tablespoon of the mashed rice one time. So feed her often. try different veggies. You can add a drop or two of ghee too.

Hope this helps!

Luv
    Shrivni

1 person likes this.
  8. Radical

Radical Silver IL'ite

Hello,
    Any tips on this. please help.

Milk - I am BF only in night, in the day I give him formula. Problem is he just doesnt like formula. He struggle to drink 3oz, he pushes bottle away, or just spit it out from side of his mouth. To drink this quantity he takes 2hrs. I am frustrated by the end. I tried sippy cup, he just bities. Any suggestions on this please

Radical

9. mariegold

mariegold Junior IL'ite

Hi Radical,

Please try other brand of formula and see if that helps. I have seen babies liking one formula over the other.

You mentioned that your baby is 6 months old I see that you feed the baby solids 4 times. Can you please check with Ped again. At 6 months babies intestine is still developing and we have to be little slow with solids and slowly increase it.

Babies most nutrition at 6 month should be from Formula or breastmilk. As the food does not contain on the iron and other nutrients baby needs.

I may be wrong, this just the opinion my daugthers ped gave

2 people like this.
  10. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

Does he like breastfeeding better? If he does, maybe you could pump for him to use in the daytime. Otherwise, you should just go on formula full-time. I really don't think its a good idea to switch between the two. As for me, I breastfed my eldest son for two years, my second son only a month and then formula, and my daughter switched to formula within a week. My two younger ones were very chubby thanks to Enfamil A+.