1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to make my Son fat

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by StrongLady, Aug 20, 2014.

1. StrongLady

StrongLady Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

I have a 7 yr old son. He is a picky eater and much taller to his age. so looks thin.
    I want him to put on weight. I feed him full plate rice at nights, he eats fruits 3 servings per day. Grapes, Watermelon, apples, pears, pineapple are his favourites. I give him nuts but he eats less. he drinks 1-2 cups milk.
    still he plays so much so i can eaisly feel they get burnt. I wanted to give him some protien shakes but donno if they are safe for 7 yr old.

Please suggest some ideas to make him fat.

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

FAT?????
    Why???? He is active and happy....why do you want to make him fat Op???
    He eats fruits,drinks milk....what else do you want dear.You are lucky.You can increase his protein intake(natural proteins ...please stay away from these protein health drinks unless recommended by the doctor)....as he is a growing boy.

All doctors these days talk about having active kids and not "healthy" kids. Those days have gone.If he has the energy to play all day...he is probably getting enough food. Just make sure it is a balanced diet.

3 people like this.
  3. StrongLady

StrongLady Silver IL'ite

I know my doctor said same. Thats why i could never find the way and posted here.
    because when someone looks, he looks thin not medium or fat.
    so atleast i want him to get medium.

the moment my friends see say he became thin. Every year the more he grows more thin he is getting. I increased his intake at night but as i work i cannot do anything for lunch. I give him lunch and snacks and he eats only 60% of it and returns.
    i have spent days finding recipees so he eats more at school. I did shopping along with him asking what he want to eat. he says the same foods he eating now. tried including nuts, badam in mornings.

But again not much weight Gain. As he is boy looking well built is important.
    he right now looks thin.

4. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

My mom had this question till I was 22 year old (I was 34 KG by then) and now I guess her question would be how I can make my DD thin :) :)

sindmani, breeze01 and StrongLady like this.
  5. yellowmango

OP ...your son is growing taller and hence he is looking thin. Every child is made differently. Don't pay attention to what others say as long as the doctor is okay with his progress.If they say something ....tell them he is active and the doctor is happy with his progress.

On your part...you can make sure he has options available. Give him varied fruits.Keep nuts etc as snacks. Include different milk options.....paneer,curd ,yogurt,even...pure milk ice cream etc.

What you can do is make sure he gets his balanced meal...as then reward him for finishing it by giving him something he really likes.

6. yellowmango

My elder daughter was always marginally underweight till she was 7-8 years old.Later on she blossomed a bit too much. Now she has to always keep a watch on her weight.The younger one was over weight when she was born.....was "healthy looking "till she was 5-6 years old and since then has been size zero.

1 person likes this.
  7. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Stay away from protein shakes or other artificial things ..... for a child, or an adult

How about avocados? You can toast whole wheat bread, and spread mashed up avocado.

Or guacamole and home-made chips as a snack

2 people like this.
  8. StrongLady

StrongLady Silver IL'ite

Thank you YM for the suggestion.
    it feels bad when someone says your kid lost weight. especially as a working mom i already feel very concerned and this adds.
    weekends when he is home, i feed him often and can see his face looks healthy and cheeks full but again during week days , when i go pick him from school see he looks really tired.

yes same got some cakes and give them as dessert.
    i prefer he eats idlis,dosas as breakfast as they are healthy and sometimes he complaints, so i tell him if he eats 2 idlis then i will let him eat his fruit loops.

2 people like this.
  9. StrongLady

StrongLady Silver IL'ite

oh thats a good idea. i used to give pasta, nuggets in hot pack but now at summer camp he stays out most of the day so i thought cold sandwiches are good.

so thought of avacados in sandwiches. sure will try the recipee.

i gave warm sandwich in hot pack but realised still in closed boxes they get soggy.

1 person likes this.
  10. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

hi you can give him banana once a day.. if he don't like it make it as a fruit smoothie.
    you can give him egg that's help for weight gain...
    as others said avacodes... and nuts you can add in upma or some curries...

I did give my son banana once a day and he did gain little amount of good weight... I am glad he don't like the junk food much... you can see the difference in a month...