1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to include fruits for my daughter who is refusing to eat

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Sailajahemanth, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Sailajahemanth

Sailajahemanth Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

How to incorporate fruits in Indian cooking? I know avocado chapathi. Any more bright ideas?

She is not at all interested in fruit smoothies. she is simply refusing to even taste it. I tried it several times and gave up.

I am worried..pls help me.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    2 people like this.

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Post by Srividya:

Hi Shailahemanth,
    Firstly kudos to you for making sure that you give your daughter healthy food and don't ever give up for with kids you never know when the miracles happen. Since she is not eating smoothies, first start trying to give her cubes of any fruit whenever possible .Am sure she denies initially but if you keep offering and offering , eventually she'll try one or the other time. Believe me! It works as my son used to refuse to eat veggies but when you include them(to help you wash the fruit, keeping the chopper ready, to select their choice of fruit/veggie) while cutting the fruits/veggies while preparing a meal they might try to taste it in the process.

Try to carry cubed fruits when you go out and about as she'll be tired after some time, just offer fruits and nothing else. She may try in outdoors after her playtime.

Meanwhile try adding fruits/dry fruits(if she doesn't like raw fruits for time being) in cereals, pancakes, etc. for better nutrition.

You can try banana chappathi,boiled apple with rice, slices of apples in sandwich, mixed fruit dosa rolls etc.,

Hope this is helpful for you!

Cheers,
    Srividya

3 people like this.
  3. Sailajahemanth

Dear Srividya,

thanks for for the suggestions.

regards,
    sailaja

4. theoffice

theoffice Bronze IL'ite

baking or roasting fruits like apples, banana, pea with wee butter makes a big difference in taste.

1 person likes this.
  5. Armaity25

Armaity25 Silver IL'ite

A few days back,I saw a lady use grated apples in the alu tikki.My greatgrandmom used to add ripe bananas while kneading the dough.You can even make smoothies, milkshakes, frozen yoghurt,fresh fruit ice creams too by using fruits.Peach karanjis,pineapple or mango sheera,banana or jackfruit muluk,semolina-fruit cake are some other ways to incorporate it in her food. Also if your daughter likes you can make fruit kababs on toothpicks or fruit chaat or fruit and corn bhel or mixed fruit sasam or fruit sandwich or mixed fruit shreekhand or fruit shikran or any fruit parathas or even fruit panipuri.If your daughter doesn't like uncooked fruits you can first use them in recipes where they are cooked and once she gets accustomed to the taste then gradually give her in the uncooked form. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. han412

han412 Gold IL'ite

Fruits are best had raw. We get all the nutrients when fruits are consumed raw. There is not much point in giving cooked fruits. If your kid is old enough take her out fruit shopping with you. Let her pick out the fruits she likes. It makes a huge difference.

1 person likes this.
  7. Sai3A21

Sai3A21 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sailajahemanth,

this is the common problem with all kids except a rare few. try to add them in breakfast along with cereals, oats. or just cut them in to small pieces garnish with grated chocolate or chocolate sauce, initially to make her to pick it up and taste. Then slowly reduce the choco content and let her try with honey. make it a routine to give her one bowl of fruits per day (let her choose to have it in the morning or evening). adding 2 or 3 fruits like apple, orange and grape like a fruit salad will make it more attractive to eat.

1 person likes this.
  8. Sailajahemanth

Dear All,

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I will follow it.

I was not able to reply immediately. Sorry for that.

Once again thanks a Lot.

Regards,
    sailaja

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  9. Sai3A21

Sai3A21 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sailajahemanth, hope your DD is eating fruits now :)

10. Sailajahemanth

Hi Prerna,

Yes she started eating apple and strawberry just a few days back. I was so happy to see that.

Thanks a lot Prerna.

1 person likes this.