1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

tips on giving veggies/fruits......

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by breeze01, Apr 18, 2014.

1. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

yesterday I want to try giving some beets to my son I thought maybe he doesn't like it... but after I cook everything he saw that and keep asking me whats that.. I gave him little bit and looks like he like it.. and I end up beetroot parathas it didn't came that good but not bad either for first time maker....

There are some fruits/veggies as adults ourselves don't feel like to eat at times like say beetroot only because of its nutritional values we have to force ourselves to eat even kids some they don't even look at that because of color... avacadoes its wonderful fruit but he doesn't like it.... I don't know how to give him few of the veggies/fruits please pass me how you give it your little once....

I started steaming veggies from last couple of weeks...which veggies are good for kids I give him the mixed veggies with carrot,beans,peas (peas gives him gas), so I stop giving him daily... I plan to cook it along with rice but its all going all over the rice still its okay but I add only few veggies just for him... do you all use steamer...?????

This thread is to talk about giving various veggies/fruits to kids in different ways... as sometimes we have to fight I said it might be helpful if we post what all methods we use to give them healthy things......please pass your suggestions/advices...

2. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

My son was and still is a very fussy eater. He will eat all fruits on earth, but when it comes to veggies he will only eat a certain few. And this is tough especially since we are vegetarians.

If your son likes roti, you can make him burittos. saute all the veges you want him to eat, add a little masala (not too much) so that it is not bland, mix with a little rice, and put it in a roti and call it burrito. A friend of mine suggested this to me when I was complaining and after I gave it to my son, he started eating it.

Just keep on putting the veges on his plate. He will learn soon enough that he needs to eat or else go hungry. Its painful to watch, but this is where tough love comes in and it will certainly work.

My son is now 11 and he is still fussy. What I do now is that what ever he does not particularly like I send to school in dabba (he hates sambar or any kind of dals) and he will eat it because by lunch time he is hungry. When at home, I make other things that he loves so that he eats quickly.

Your son is still small and is just learning different tastes....will take time, but be persistent.

1 person likes this.
  3. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

oh yea burritos idea sounds good... sometimes when we thinking to ourselves ideas wont come... so posting here is helping me in lot of way...

yes mine is only 2 yr old trying to start giving him everything with little variation as I don't want him to miss out good food....

we don't even eat that much non veg once or twice in a week or sometimes not at all.. but he will have egg or omlet one or two times in a day...........

do you give your son soya chunks...???????

4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

You can grate a lot of veg, dunk pasta sauce on top, and sneak them in with pasta.

Alternately, mixed veg soups are great - I also add some dal (masoor/ mung), quinoa, chia seeds etc. to hike up the nutrient content. I tend to chop the veg small so that the soup is chunky as it doesn't destroy fibre content like blending does. To thicken add ground nuts - almonds are my favourite.

Avocado mash can be added to pasta. It just makes it creamy and more delicious.

You can make toasties with mashed avocado, tomatoes and cheese.

Quesidillas with whole wheat roti instead of tortillas, with refried beans, bell peppers and cheese inside is quite delish. You can make guacamole with avocados to go with it.

Use vermicelli/ sooji/ bulgar wheat/ quinoa/ barley as a base, add lots if chopped veg and make a kichidi of sorts with it. I use roughly about 1.5 cup veg per cup of uncooked base.

Paratas left, right and centre!

bread/ dosa pizza with unusual vegetables. Don't forget the cheese topping!

Hidden veg kebabs - grate, sauté and season any veg like carrot/ beetroot/ broccoli. Boil potatoes, mash them with some bread crumbs, make a little ball of the veg and cover it with a layer of the potatoes and cook like a kebab on a pan.

even just pan roasting vegetables cut into thick fingers with just a little salt and no other masala / seasoning is brilliant. First roast onion slices, one clove garlic for a couple of min. Add potatoes, carrots, courgette, French beans, cauliflower, broccoli, bell peppers, butternut squash etc. add salt to taste and cook like a stir fry on a med-high heat until you are sure that the veg is cooked. Resist all temptation to add any other masala. I'm yet to meet a child who refuses this, especially when served to them with a fruit fork. It is very simple to make and the fussiest eaters (as the mums claim) gobble up huge quantities of this.

6 people like this.
  5. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

hi miss gueesshoo, thanks so much for such a big reply which is going to be very useful with my upcoming recipes for my kiddo.... as he turn 2 yr old i been trying to give him everything i can ..its so hard as of now to cook for him alone when my other nephews are here too then i have to endup cooking alot which is taking alot of my time after work so i plan on to cook something special only on weekend or on weekdays when i am not so tired.thatswhy trying to get some tips from experienced moms like you all..... Once again thanks so much for your suggestions... keeep passing on so it will be helpful for other moms too...

6. urmilaraj

urmilaraj IL Hall of Fame

Hi, my daughter hated pumpkin. so, i just grated the pumpkin, and powdered the ajwain, heated 1 teaspoon butter added the ajwain and the grated pumpkin stir fried for a few mins. and mixed with aatta and made chappathis. it was hit. try.

1 person likes this.
  7. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hi breeze,

i find it easier to cook such dishes for all of us as a meal rather than just my dd. It also is easier than the traditional dishes in most cases, more interesting and more nutritious.

I add all masalas except chillies for the kids' bits. For us, I either add chilli tadka or serve with spicy pickles/ chutneys.

8. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

i will try to cook for all see how they like it....

9. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

hi,

Just yesterday I did the same thing, grated beets and my DD 1 year 4 months old, was so curious to see that and wanted to eat.. So just did a simple stir fry with little salt and cumin powder and then mixed it with her curd rice.. The whole rice turned a beautiful pink and unbelievable she ate on her own and was very happy to eat something pink colour..

Also, I have given her vadas made of beetroot..:cool2:

1 person likes this.
  10. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Veggies topped with dosa and grated cheese are life-savers :hatsoff

Also, since your kid is 2 years old, try offering finger foods, or something which the kid can take and eat on his own.. They love to be independent now (onwards,I guess) :goodidea:

1 person likes this.