1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to begin with solids for 4 1/2 months old?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Applepie01, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Applepie01

Applepie01 Senior IL'ite

Hey All,

My Lo is around 4months and 2 weeks and his pead has askes us to introduce solids to begin with rice cereals , then veggies and fruits.Though i asked the quantity he told 1 tablespoon to start with and go ahead as the the baby demands.Im somehow skeptical without knowing the exact quantity now my questions

1.i formula feed and had very low supply just after delivery hence formula.So can i start with the cereal once per day to begin with?

2.When did you all start with the vegetables?and what were the vegetable you first introduced followed by fruits.

3.did you guys give ragi and if yes was it the readymade powder or the sprouted ragi powder .As we don get the whole ragi here.

Just because my baby is formula fed i i want to begin with solids

2. LunaDoveDesigns

LunaDoveDesigns Silver IL'ite

Re: How to begin with solids for 41/2 old?

You can start him with about a tablespoon of rice cereal mixed with breastmilk or formula, or water (not cow's milk), then add veggies and then fruits a week apart. That seems to be standard US baby feeding.

I disagree with it, though. Personally, I would wait till six months and start him on real food. But that may be just me.

(I had a whole bunch of links regarding babies and solid foods, Including the benefits of waiting and the benefits of a real-food diet as opposed to a puréed one. I caught a lot of flak from my mother about letting my kids have spinach or bananas as first foods at six months instead of rice cereal at four months. I can't find them now.)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Re: How to begin with solids for 41/2 old?

Your pediatrician will have a nurse assistant or a telephone nurse with whom you can call in for questions. You can run food questions by her/him if you have any doubts. Also the containers usually have info on the ages that you can start.