1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A peculiar problem with DD's breakfast: advise needed

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Rakhii, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

My DD has just turned 13 months. Since 10 days, she is throwing up after breakfast. I tried cereal, milk, fruits, upma alternatively each day. Her breakfast time is around 8, about 30 minutes after she wakes up. Any idea why she could be doing that?

2. vinumithra

vinumithra Senior IL'ite

Hi,

This is just a normal problem do not worry even my baby does that. Just take your kid out and engage her in some activities and simultaneously feed her that helps because I do it usually my son will not eat properly inside my house i want him to take out to feed.

Any other suggestions welcome

3. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Rakhi.. is there something thats common in all the breakfasts?
    Can u keep a list and track the ingredients....

4. Rakhii

Thank you Mithra. I have to try to distract her in someother way as its too cold to take her out to feed. But I get your point; I need to distract her. The confusion is, why only breakfast?
    usually she has cereal JAG and below are the majority of ingredients. Weird part is, I top her up with cereal before she goes to bed at night and she seems to do fine then. Just the breakfast time she started throwing up. When I mean throwing up, I mean, completely to the point that the high chair is completely soiled along with her cloths.

WHEAT FLOUR, DRY SKIM MILK, POTATO MALTODEXTRIN, CORN FLAKES, PALM OLEIN, HONEY, CANOLA OIL, COCONUT OIL, SUNFLOWER OIL, MINERAL AND VITAMINS (FERROUS FUMARATE, NICOTINAMIDE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN), BIFIDOBACTERIUM LACTIS.

5. justanothergirl

I suspect ..gluten...upma,cereal ....
    Can u try gluten free cereal from whole foods tomorrow...just a hunch...

My friends little one has allergies ...but its not full blown...sometimes he can tolerate certain foods but sometimes he cannot...So it confused every one for a long time.

Added : How is her situation with day care ? Is she happy ?
    The reason is...she might associate breakfast with drop off at day care and hence reacts to it...

6. Rakhii

JAG, it could be that, I will try gluten free. However, does it have any time implication though? Why is she not making herself sick at nights?

Hubby and I are lactose intolerant. I started giving her whole milk recently (1 month ago to be specific). I started mixing formula and whole milk simultaneously as per her pediatrician; she told me that gradually I need to increase the whole milk and reduce formula when making transition. I stuck to the schedule to the T.
    Since about 10 days obviously the night time whole milk intake has gone up. Could something be triggering due to that? Could she be lactose intolerant too and somehow its not severe enough to show immediately but the next day morning it does?

She is happy at the daycare these days. Not a drop of tear in 2 weeks. Still eating very small portions but eating/playing/napping a little bit.

Edit: She had runny bowel movement for a week, twice. Third time it was fine. So, I am confused, could it be milk allergy?

7. justanothergirl

Hmm...could be lactose too...
    I would make a few combinations...

Gluten free cereal + organic milk (Whole)
    Gluten free cereal + fresh fruit juice (non -citrus) (soy milk ? Not sure ..if its ok for 11 month old please check)
    just plain mashed banana...
    Watch her reaction...

Glad to know her day care situation is better...

Rakhi..may be I am over thinking this thing...it could be a simple case of cold/cough and after a long night she has enough mucous that it needs to get out.(gross but ya!!)

1 person likes this.
  8. Rakhii

Thank you so much JAG. You gave me a lot to think about.

BTW, your last point about mucus is so valid. I didnt even think of it. She had been wheezing a little at nights since around the same time the vomiting started. When I apply vicks and keep her elevated, she is fine. Either or, by morning she is fine. When I called the doctors office, they said since its very cold outside, its common for toddlers to have this symptom; nothing dangerous. So, I didn't really take her to doctors thinking she is fine by morning anyway.

I guess it could be that the mucus is coming out at mornings?!!

1 person likes this.
  9. justanothergirl

Dairy products aggravate mucus....so go easy on milk/yogurt till she fully recovers.
    Just give her dry cereal + fruit juice.

10. Rakhii

ok...will try!!! thanks a lot