1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

worried about my 1 year old baby's food routine..please help

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by jas12, Oct 25, 2012.

1. jas12

jas12 Senior IL'ite

Hi il,
    my son is one year old and i am worried about his food routine...he was having solid food quite well from 8 months to 11 months..for the past one one month he just hates solid .
    His food menu includes..
    7 am wake up have bm
    9 am he take nap
    10.30 or 11 he wakes up and have oats porridge/satthu maavu he sometimes have fully otherwise half..
    Inbetween he drinks bm
    1 or 2pm he takes a nap
    4.30 pm he 'll have rice mixed with veg like carrot, potato or dal rice ...need to force that also
    Eve time will feed bm...that's it..
    Night time he have bm...

I know he drinks lot of bm...i am worried he is not having enough solid food...anyone can tell me what will the reason for avoiding solid foods completely....he doesnt have without mashing the food...he has 4 tooth...

Kindly help..

2. srdip

srdip Bronze IL'ite

How is his motion? How long has he been avoiding solids..? If the food is not enough, then the frequency of motions will reduce.....If not, try to massage his stomach and see if he winces (Stomach pain/gas makes the babies feel full and they avoid eating)

If its not the above and is a general fuss, it may be because, at one year, they like to explore various tastes.. use spices in moderation and try feeding him...my baby is a fussy eater as well but mostly because she wants tasty food and not the same bland dal/mashed carrot etc..

3. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

For one year old, he should be eating solid foods 4 times a day. I'm sharing a sample weekly menu that I give my one year old DD

Breakfast - idli, dosa, pongal, upma, sathumaavu kanji
    Lunch - sambhar rice, mixed veg rice, rasam rice, veg pulao, curd rice
    Snack - banana/apple/pear, biscuit, milkshakes, rice kanji, different sundal varieties (any pulses like whole green gram, white/black channa, black eyed peas etc)
    Dinner - chapathi, paratha, bread toast, dal rice, broken-wheat kichdi, simple rice-dal-veg kichdi

At one year old, babies like to try new foods. So offering variety and increasing frequency of food intake will help them to get the required calories.

We share our daily menus in this thread - Daily kids menu updates

You can also participate and get some ideas.

4. Tashsin

Tashsin Gold IL'ite

Can you mention how much BM he is taking...?..?
    My son is 1 yr 2 weeks old..
    Menu is...
    8am..BF..
    9am..rice porridge with pear, carrot, apple
    11am.2almonds+2cashew+4 raisins(paste form)
    1pm 150ml formula
    Nap for 2 hrs
    4pm oats porridge with spinach, peas, dal, patato
    6pm 120ml formula
    7pm banana with milk
    9pm cerlac with milk...
    His weight is 9.5kg

5. jas12

jas12 Senior IL'ite

He passes motion normally..but one month before he had loose motion from that time onwards he avoids solid foods completely....i too didnt force him to take..but now also he just a solids,....Nowadays i just force him...
    How are you adding spices in food....once i tried adding pepper he didnt even take it anymore..

6. jas12

jas12 Senior IL'ite

karanu

Yeah i know allkids have variety of foods..but my baby got addicted to bm....I tried giving him idly ,dosa and all but he simply spit it out... He ll take some food if i give him in the paste format..that too i had to try all sort of tricks..

I tried giving him idli/dosa /pongal/kichdi and all...he just spit it out...he eats one biscuit , one banana ..doesnt like apple and other fruits...if i mix apple in oats he vomits..

7. jas12

jas12 Senior IL'ite

Tashsin
    i feed him whenever he needs....before loose motion he weighed 10 kg now he weighs 9.7 kg..So you are not feeding ur milk? My baby is allergic to aavin milk...that's why he had loose motion ...doc advised me not to give other milk...

8. srdip

srdip Bronze IL'ite

Well, happened with my baby too.. She had loose motion 2 months back and her appetite has not improved even now.. I also feed her BM and she prefers BM to anything else.. that's how babies are.. But during her other feeds, I try to indulge her in some activity or switch on the rhymes or cartoons, so she sometimes doesn't even realize she is eating...You can try that

I use it in moderation. For example, if i am making any curry and plan to feed her that, i use all the spices needed but in moderation(half or 3/4th of the normal amount may be).. if using half the amount of spices doesn't work out for you, prepare the curry the way u normally wud, but use less of curry for every mouthful so he just gets to taste it and understands the taste... Does he like rotis/chapathis? if so try giving that.. My daughter loves them and so I am trying out different paratha's for her..

Babies are always fussy eaters.. I need to invent something new everyday just so she eats her regular meals

1 person likes this.
  9. jas12

jas12 Senior IL'ite

Sridip
    He wont he eat while sitting....i lay him in my lapand give....he doesnt like watching tv ...i just show him some toys and do mimickry...that's how he eats atleast lil amount of food other than bm...will try adding some curry and give it to him....

Will post feed back after trying this..

10. srdip

srdip Bronze IL'ite

Sure try it out...I am noting down few more things that I tried with my baby which you can try as well..

1) Boil potatoes, mash it, fry it with a little oil, turmeric powder, chilli powder and use it as a side dish with milk rice or curd rice.. My baby loved it
    If you dont want to add chillies yet to his diet, you can try the below,
    1) Peel garlic cloves, cut it into small pieces, fry it in little ghee or oil, add it to the dal/mashed potato
    2) Chop onion finely (as small as possible), fry it in a little ghee or oil, add it to the dal/mashed potato

The above 2 not only enhances the flavor but also gives an interesting aroma that your baby may like..