1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

lunch box ideas for indian kids in american schools

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by chinmunni, Dec 25, 2007.

1. ravioli1970

ravioli1970 Bronze IL'ite

I agree with Anand that we should be proud of our food and our identity. having said that, I do feel I do change my indian recipes to handy finger foods like roti or nan wraps with veg or ch or veg or non veg burgers. at this age, kids do want to fit in and they do not want to stand out or look different. so if that works for my child without losing my taste, why not?? I always have avoided fried foods due to nutrition reasons but I feel wraps and burgers are healthy and handy!!

2. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

First day of KG my son insisted that he would only eat curd rice. So that's what I packed. It came home as is - reason? It became hard.
    I started asking him what he wanted, and he ofcourse ALWAYS wanted mac n cheese. But he also loves most veges. I started packing rice with ghee and some vege curry. For dessert (umm...my son only eats meals because he can't have dessert before that :) ) I used to pack different kind of kids yoghurts (go-gurt, danimals, crush cups etc).
    He did come home one day complaining that his friends made faces at his food. So I patiently asked him how he felt about their food (we are strict vegetarians, and most of his friends had meat items for lunch). He said he did not like it either. So I taught him to tell them that each person has a favourite type of food.
    Now he is older,and everytime somebody asks him WHAT ON EARTH he is eating. He has a simple answer "It's Indian....you wouldn't understand" LOL makes the other kids even more curious

1 person likes this.
  3. yaajushi

yaajushi New IL'ite

1. Avoiding spices with strong smell.
    2. Food that looks as similar to American food
    helped a bit.
    Still working on making quick recipes without using cheese or egg based food (Pasta shells and Pasta Noodles).
    If anyone successfully avoided cheese, please share how.

4. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

I live in a locality that doesn't have many Indians. However I pack only roti and curry or parathas or dosas/idlis or rice for lunch. Occasionally I do pack pasta with veggies or mac n cheese or a sandwhich but that's a rarity. On a few occasions, kids do ask my kid what he has got or say yuck. He tells them "Its not nice to say that" and the message usually gets across.

The reason why I say this we should enable our kids to stand up for themselves. This is an opportunity for them to do that.

You can substitute cheese with nutritional yeast if making pasta. In sandwiches, hummus and guacamole are good substitutes, however they don't keep well. I once saw a video where the chef made wraps with maida and wrapped veggies inside. He said it wont get soggy and packs well. Havent tried it since I don't like maida!

Soups with veggies and some grain (rice or wheat, barley, millets) is another idea.

And welcome to Indusladies!

2 people like this.
  5. delmed

delmed Junior IL'ite

Being teased is not a reason for you to give up on your culture and identity. Why should you or your kids try to adapt to the culture here? Why not continue your own? Are you not proud of your culture, that you can stand up for it, and say proudly, that no matter what others say, I will not give up on my cultural identity. What you do today, is what your kids will do tomorrow. You or your kids may or may not be living in America tomorrow, but you and your kids will always be Indian. That is the fact that does not change. And so shouldn't you, or what you practice.

6. divya920

divya920 New IL'ite

Hi everyone .. here I need ur suggestions . My baby she is 18 months old .. she is having hair on her body back side .. how to get rid of it .. I tried some home remedies with turmeric n sunnipindi as well.. but it didn’t work .. what else I can do to remove her hair ..