1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Food for allergy prone kids

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Padmash, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi,

I want to start this thread food for allergy kids. We can see there are many kids allergic to some food. My son is moderately allergic to wheat, milk and egg whites. We had the blood test done for the same.
    Now i am feeding him rice based food. In his school also they try to provide allergy free food. I really feel so sad that my son cant drink milk or yoghurt. He love both a lot. He like cakes pastries cookies. He eats cake cookies sometimes, when we are travelling or if there is some kids birthday in school. At such a time teachers cant help as other kids are eating and he dont get to eat.
    After getting his allergy test results i am little strict towards his diet.
    Now a days i feed him dosa, idli, varieties of rice and porridge few beans and pediasure.
    I am searching for some recipe for cakes and cookies which can be made without wheat egg white and any dairy product.
    If anyone have such recipe tried it then share it. i have to try few recipes with rice flour. Once i try them i will share here.

2. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi,

After this post i tried chapati for my son without wheat flour. He like it not much but he ate half chapati by himself.
    I used buckwheat flour instead of wheat flour and mashed one medium sized boiled potato with one cup flour. We dont need any water potato is enough for kneading and getting a dough. We can add little salt, cumin and coriander leaves. Now prepare chapati as usual.
    Ladies, if anyone is trying anything like this allergy free post here. We can find many allergy free recipes but we need to do long search. So, this thread is exceptionally for allergy free recipes.

3. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Padma
    Very good thread...
    For wheat allergy ie gluten allergy... you can use sorghum( jola.jwari,jower, vellai cholam), pearl millet (sajje, bajra, kambhu).. I recently read chitvish mam has tried Jowar idli the same way you do with rice that is replace rice with jowar...

4. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@padmatvt I had been thinking about such a thread for a long time. My Dd is allergic to Milk products and egg. I am a vegetarian so non-veg option is not something I am comfortable with. So I go the vegan way! She is ok with wheat. Personally I have tried the gluten free way of food.

I tried Chitvish's different idli/dosa. Each one had a different/unique taste. So had variety in dosa. Shall try to pull out the gluten free recipes.

5. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi,

Has anyone tried cake or bread allergy free. I need some recipes for allergy free vegan bread, cake and muffins. I tried some recipes but not happy with the end product.

6. ramyaramani

7. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ramya
    Thats is very good link Thanks for sharing

It will be very helpful if you share the recipes of food you prepare.. For I have seen you make variety and also very conscious of what you prepare ....

8. ramyaramani

@vjbunny Thank you for your kind words. I will post the vegan recipes.

1 person likes this.
  9. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi Ramya,
    Thanks for info. I refer Madhuram's site and tried beet and chick pea cake. You have mentioned you bake gluten free cake. Can you share that recipe.
    thanks,
    PAdma

10. ramyaramani