1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Home Made Nutritious Malt / Formula food for babies...

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by vjbunny, Jul 6, 2012.

1. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Editor's Note - This discussion has some excellent contributions on homemade malt drinks for kids is summarized and featured here. Have a read and share your recipes with us too.

Thank you vjbunny for your contributions.

------------------------

Dear Ladies...
    Here is the recipe for Home Made formulas for you babies which I had collected way back from local magazines... I am posting for your benefit hoping it well help you all... Try them and please send your feedback about how your LO took to this food...

1. Mixed Grains Nutritious Malt
    Ingredients:
    1 cup Ragi
    1 cup Wheat
    1 cup Jowar (Sorghum)
    1 cup Tuvar dal (split yellow pigeon peas)
    1 cup green gram dal
    1 cup peanut

Roast one by one on low flame till it nice aroma emanates.. cool it and powder it to fine powder and store in airtight bottle...

How to use? : When needed add water/milk and jaggery and prepare porridge(kanji)
    For 6 months baby use 1 tsp only and prepare it to watery consistency... gradually increase it depending on babies appetite... For a 8 month baby the porridge should be of thick consistency 6 to 8 tsp can be needed depending on babies appetite...
    Give this twice a day...

For babies with gluten allergy omit wheat..

2. Ragi Malt
    1kg Ragi
    Wash Ragi and soak in water for 24 hrs and next day drain the water and wash again drain water completely.. Now make a bundle of this ragi in a clean muslin cloth and keep it inclean dark warm place... next day ragi would have sprouted .. Dry this sproutred ragi in Sun when completely dry roast on low flame and powder this and store in air tight bottle...
    This Malt is given to baby when it turns 7 month and can be given to older babies too method of preparation is same as mentioned above...

3 Ragi & Pulses Malt
    Ragi 900gm
    Groundnut 200gm
    Green gram dal 400gm
    Sesame seeds(yellu/til) 100gm

Roast separately till nice aroma emanates and powder when cool. Store in air tight container.
    Use as above...

4. Wheat-Green Gram Malt
    Wheat - 1 kg
    Green Gram gal - 600gm
    Groundnut 250gm

Roast separately till nice aroma emanates and powder when cool. Store in air tight container.
    Use as above

5. Pearl Millet Malt

Pearl millet (Bajra/ sajje/ kambu) - 4 cups
    Green gram dal - 7 cups

Use as above..

Note:

• Either Malt no 3, 4 or 5 should be given when baby is 7 month old
    • Initially use 2tsp to prepare gradually increase as required upto 6 to 8 tsp above this quantity it is not advisable
    • While preparing broth first boil water/milk add sugar or jaggery sieve to remove any dirt then put again for boiling once it starts boiling add powder slowly while stirring continuously...
    • while feeding add a little homemade ghee this ensure proper digestion
    • 6 to 8 tsp is approximately equals to 30 to 40 gm
    • I have not given sugar jaggery measurement I leave it to your discretion
    • For babies with gluten allergy please omit wheat
    If you want tomake any minor changes do it to suit your babies... Please share here.. Your feedback helps me too..:thumbsup

Good Luck Happy parenting

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2014
    11 people like this.

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@vjbunny thanks for sharing. Very useful info.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Editor's Note – Thank you so much shnvy for your homemade malt recipe for kids. For viewership by a larger audience I have summarized it and it is featured here. Congratulations on your excellent contribution!

--------------------

VJB, lots of varieties. and better homemade than the store bought cerelac/farex right??

one more my paed used to vouch for, can be given from 6 months.

1 cup boiled rice
    1/4 cup roasted chana dal
    few almonds (for older babies..)

roast the rice slowly..and it will pop..or rather be ready to pop..and the flavours emanate..
    roast the dal and the almonds..cool and run in mixie..you can choose between coarse/fine powder..

cook 1/2 spoons in water.. you can add soup to it and give it. or you can add milk and give..

6 people like this.
  4. ramyaramani

@shanvy that is the first solid food that I started for my DD. Only difference, I added a tsp of omam (ajwain) to help in digestion. Of course no nuts at that stage.

5. ramyaramani

@vjbunny Do you think we can add the sathu maavu recipe here? Can be a single thread for kanji recipes!

6. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shanvy...
    Thanks for the recipe... Yes I have seen my siblings and cousins babies suffer because of Cerelac Nestle formula foods they had poor digestion when doctor took them to task for not preparing at home they went back to making at home... In fact that propelled my sister to hunt for the recipes and she used the above her second kid was prone to gas problem but after feeding this the severity decreased... Nowadays many dont follow this given the ease of using formula foods...

Dear Ramya...
    You can dear.. I will be very happy if you added it.. It is you gals thread... It will be very good too and it wont get lost....

Dear Ladies
    i invite you to put in your views and any recipes youlike to share here..

1 person likes this.
  7. ramyaramani

Editor's Note – Thank you so much ramyaramani for your homemade malt recipe for kids. For viewership by a larger audience I have summarized it and it is featured here. Congratulations on your excellent contribution!

---------------

Sathu maavu means nutritious flour. It is flour made of different grains and nuts. We mix the flour with water/milk adding sugar/jaggery/dates and allow it to boil until mixture begins to thicken. It is very good fo LO's.

Here is the recipe for the flour:

Sathu maavu

Ragi (Finger millet) 250 gms
    Puzhungal arisi (Par boiled rice or idli rice) 100 gms
    Patchai payaru (whole green gram) 100 gms
    Makkah cholam (dry corn. This is not American corn) 100gms
    Pottukadalai (Fried gram dhal)100 gms
    Badam 10 pieces
    Cashew nut 10 pieces
    Elachi 2-3
    Clove 2

Dry roast everything separately. Grind in mill.

5 people like this.
  8. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Editor's Note – Thank you so much knbg for your tips on homemade malt recipes for kids. For viewership by a larger audience I have summarized it and it is featured here. Congratulations on your excellent contribution!

----------------------------

Nice tips and recipes dear VJ,Shanvy ma'am and Ramya,:thumbsup

Just adding :my2cents ,

When the baby is 1year and above, can make the porridge to a thicker consistency ( like gruel ) and add a few drops of ghee.

And the rice porridge recipe, can replace channa dal with moong dal as a varient and little spoon of 'jeera' and 1 black pepper corn can also be added ( for babies above 1 year ) while dry roasting and ground.
    I used to add 1/2 a blanched tomato ( finely chopped ) and grated carrot to the mixture while cooking, with a tiny amount of hing.

2 people like this.
  9. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ramya
    Thank You...
    Dear Bhargavi...
    Thanks dear for the tip..

1 person likes this.
  10. siddusahana

siddusahana Bronze IL'ite

In Sathu mavu recipe you can also add Kambu(pearl millet / bajra), redrice, groundnut, samba kothumai( Samba wheat), karupu kondaikadalai( black chickpeas) ,Suku (dry ginger) it helps in digestion and pista....