1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Oats for babies

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by karanu, Jul 6, 2012.

1. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

I'm planning to give oats to my 9 month old DD. I have seen other mommies (especially in US) give oatmeal cereal. Is this the same as the regular oats we give in India? I usually buy Quaker oats for myself. Can I just powder the same and make a porridge for my DD?

2. geetharao

geetharao Gold IL'ite

Hi Karanu
    Even I was giving oats to my 9 months old baby, but once when I told to the doctor that I used to give my little one oats he suggested me not to make it as a habit as it does not contain carbohydrate or any other essential elements for the growth and development of the baby. It does not cause any harm but at the same time it does not provide the essential elements for the growth.

Why don't you try carrot soup or spinach soup or some other stuff like that? At this stage the babies have to be provided with nutritious food so as to keep them fit and healthy.

Regards,
    Geetha rao

3. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

4. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

Geetha / Nandhu, the reason I wanted to start with oats is to help my DD get fibre into her diet since she gets constipated quite often. She doesn't drink much water. When I consulted with my ped regarding this constipation problem, she asked me to add curd and banana regularly. With the current cold weather (and I had severe cold a few days back), I'm just concerned to give her curd/banana, fearing she might catch a cold.

One other reason is that she has been rejecting rice in the afternoons lately, so maybe a different taste in oats might help her with variety.

5. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The oatmeal cereal seems different atleast in the texture. I do give 1-2 tsp of quaker oats to DD whenever I have. Honestly Dd hates it and I am glad. it does not help in adding weight. Just fills up the stomach.

Fibre is present in vegetables and fruits. So not sure if you need to introduce oats for fibre sake.

6. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi...
    When one takes fibre one should drink enough water too else constipation results...
    Before starting on oats please consult your ped

7. Chandrika82

Chandrika82 Silver IL'ite

Vjbunny, oats does not cause constipation. Its had a lot of fiber and it infacts helps relieve constipation.
    I agree with other posters however, that better, more nutritious food needs to be given to baby.

Karanu, for constipation why dont you try prune in pureed form? My DD has the same, and everytime she has prunes she was a very easy bowel movement. Maybe it would help you.

8. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Chandrika
    I meant one needs to take enough water as well so the fibre in oats will help in removing constipation so before giving oats consult ped to know properly how to administer for that particular baby as each baby is unique...

This I put because my friends baby had digestion problem with oats then the doctor recommeneded her proper way to feed the baby... which tip I unfortunately dont remember....

9. siddusahana

siddusahana Bronze IL'ite

For constipation give well cooked beans and peas it really helps a lot.

1 person likes this.
  10. Dhivya5

Dhivya5 Gold IL'ite

hi
    please don't give oats for your baby as it doesn't give appropriate nutrients. Also it will absorb all the fat from your baby's body. Try giving cooked and mashed carrots, potatoes, apples. Also try giving mashed banana for your baby's constipation problems. Give a tsp of water after feeding the baby. Don't worry all this were tested and tried for my sons. Also soak few dry grapes in warm water for some time and then mash them slightly and strain and give it to your baby. This also helps to relieve constipation.Take Care.

1 person likes this.