1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cough and Cold Remedies

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by kundavai, Nov 23, 2007.

1. parusabari

parusabari Silver IL'ite

Dear Friends,
    Let me share with you all some home made remedies for cough and cold which is applicable from children of 1 month onwards without doing any harm to them at all.

1.For dry cough- Apply vicks vaporub generously beneath the foot and toes and make your children wear socks. Cough will vanish in 5 mins..and it is very useful for coughing which takes place at night without allowing one to sleep. Also helps adults.

2. For running nose- Heat a spoon of coconut oil with a small piece of crushed camphor. Heat the oil just a little so that the child is able to bear the heat. Apply this mixture of oil+camphor near the earlobes, on the sides of the nose. Running nose stops.

3. For cough - Roast 2 tsp Chana dal ( Cuddalai Parupu). Turn off the gas and add to it 1 or 2 garlic clove(crushed), 1 camphor piece powdered coarsely. Tie this mixture in a soft cotton cloth and make like a string purse ( potlam). Please do check the heat on your palm. If you are able to sustain the heat of this cloth on the palm or on your cheeks , a child from 1 month onwards will be able to sustain it without getting burnt.
    Apply this potlam on chest, palm, beneath foot and on back of child. Also tell the child to inhale the smell from cloth by keeping it at a little distance from the nostrils. This cloth can be heated again when required by rotating it on a flat dosa tava or a hot kadai.
    This cloth can be again used for 2 days without having the need to change the contents.
    Here Chana dal is used since it can sustain more heat when roasted.

Avoid giving green grapes, water melon and oragnes to children if they have cough and cold.

I hope these remedies do help you all. All these are tried and tested methods which are very succesful.

Love,
    Parvathi.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
    2 people like this.
  2. headspin

headspin Bronze IL'ite

thanks parvathi... lovely methods:).

we too do the same - but with different ingredients:

1. for cough/phglem:
    - take a coarse salt, heat it in tava and tie in hanky. apply when the heat is tolerable on the child's chest, bac and neck.
    - alternatively, take a cloth and iron it. this warm cloth can also be kept instead of coarse salt potlam
    - use warm almond oil/mustard oil (both are supposed to give out heat) and apply it on the child's soles, behind ear lobes, temples, chest, back, neck and sides of nose.

3. nalinayatheesh

nalinayatheesh New IL'ite

hi
    i m having 7 months old daughter.
    she is having only running nose no cough,
    can i add bit turmeric to her milk.
    my question is, Is medicine for cold causes heat?
    since we live in Raichur and
    summer is starting i am worried abt that.......... any one can u clr my dut

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  4. jaimatadi123

jaimatadi123 Senior IL'ite

hi ,

when my baby 13 months old has a runny nose . i give her 2-3 tspoon on milk with turmeric in it to drink .
    I anywyas add turmeric to all my food which she eats so its O.K .
    Tulsi could also be added to the above.

tc

5. soonmomtobe

soonmomtobe New IL'ite

Hi you can try making a cough medicine with Basil leaves, black pepper ( a pinch), salt, dalchini or cinnamon, ginger and little honey, you can add some sugar for taste, boil these in water and strain then give this to your child whenever he gets cough. this will surely work. Usually cough and cold takes it own time. all you can do is get little relief from these meds.

6. Mehala

Mehala New IL'ite

Hi Sowmini,

I am also staying in chennai. I am looking for good homeo doctor for myself and my son who is 2 yrs old. Could you please help me with the homeo doctor details. You can PM me. I am staying near tambaram.
    Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Mehala

7. sridevipc

sridevipc Silver IL'ite

hi Mehala,
    try varma hospital
    No 63,Arcot Road,Kodambakkam,Chennai,600024
    Phone Number:
    +91-44-65431432, +91-44-65167372
    i heard its good

8. veer

veer New IL'ite

you can try grandma home remedy of using coconut oil with camphor at the very first symptom of cold heat this and rub on the chest and back leave it for a while and have hot bath.

9. SM11870

SM11870 Silver IL'ite

hi ladies,

can anybody pls suggest some homemade remedy for choked nose.My son is 2 yrs old and his nose is choked at night,I give nasal drops but want something without any harsh chemicals,pls share ur views.

Thanks in advance.

10. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

My 8 month old is going to the daycare twice a week for 1.5 hours. She is coming down with cough; so far no cold. Cough has just started. What shall i do ladies? Will camphor in coconut oil work for cough? Can I give Ajwain in water? Will it help? I want to do something before it gets bad.