1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cough and Cold Remedies

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by kundavai, Nov 23, 2007.

1. anumanoj

anumanoj New IL'ite

Hi Can you pls elaborate for how long it needs to be given. My daughter is going to be seven. Is it advisable? Whcih doc did you see?

2. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Apart from the Vicks on the feet, I'm also applying turmeric powder [just make a paste with water] on the chest region. Gives good relief from the congestion.
    Also, heat up some coconut oil in a ladle & add few small pieces of camphor [ karpooram ] , it will dissolve. When oil is warm, apply on the forehead, temples [ sinus points ] , will relieve the runny nose, watery eyes sensation.
    Include pepper/jeera powder in the daily diet & also ginger, honey & lemon juice. Giving warm 'sukku water' [ boiling water to which dried ginger is added ] throughout the day also heats up the body & relieves the symptoms.

Both my daughter & myself, are suffering from severe cold/cough for past few days . The tips above can be used for adults also .

3. bars62

bars62 Senior IL'ite

hi

best remedy for cold is turmeric poweder in hot milk with pinch of pepper powder.

for cough ginger juice with honey . take one tsp every 1 hour .

steam inhalation also helps a lot for the phlegm to come out .

bharathy.g.

4. Jigna4u

Jigna4u New IL'ite

Clean ajwain-1tblsp (I just run it in mixie and keepit so that it steeps into the extract well)
    Pepper corn -10numbers
    Clove (laung) - 7numbers
    dry raisins - 10 numbers
    indian basil - 10/15leaves (if available very good)
    betel leaves - 1 leaf.
    sugar candy - 1tsp.
    ginger- 1/2 inch piece crushed.
    jeera - 1/2tsp

Take 2/3 cups of water and boil all the above ingredients till it comes to almost half the quanity. leave it to cool. crush everything and strain it.
    add a little honey and give it to the child. if it is a 5+ you can add little lime juice and honey when it is a little warm.

the same can be prepared and left in the fridge and given in the night, when the cough tends to become severe, a little warm the child sleeps well.

In infants the mucus comes out in the form of vomit/lose motions too. but this has a balance of all the ingredients..so no heat.

try it..

Source : post by shanvy in another section on indusladies

5. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

A couple of days back, my throat started to sore and other symptoms for cold. Immediately, started steaming 2 to 3 times in a day, had milk with haldi & pannai vellam powder and what a effect; had lots of garlic in rasam and ate raw onions too. MY friend also suggested to chew fresh pepper or pepper with honey for a better throat. Also, had hot milk with honey in the night. Of course, gargles too, somehow, feeling much better or almost gone..Not sure, it will happen everytime, but, atleast, worked out this time.

6. ds0612

ds0612 Bronze IL'ite

my 5 month old has cold so i was naturally seraching it on IL...your caption made me smile!!! :)

7. VinuthaKarthik

VinuthaKarthik Bronze IL'ite

Is it ok to apply coconut oil + camphor on my 9 month baby?
    She has bad cold

8. VinuthaKarthik

VinuthaKarthik Bronze IL'ite

Is it ok to give badam and cashew to a 9 month baby?

9. PrathyushaCh

PrathyushaCh New IL'ite

My Daughter is2 years old
    my mother in low home remedies one cup hot milk ,add to 1 teas Turmeric powder mix to milk after add to 1 teas ghee in the cup, pl drink to very effective. - POSTED BY ketal

Ketal,

1 cup hot milk
    1 tsp Turmeric
    after mixing milk and turmeric, YOU ADD GHEE? IS that right?
    Can you use this recipe for severe cold on 15month old baby? IS that ok, as the baby is too young?

10. PrathyushaCh

PrathyushaCh New IL'ite

fry the turmeric pd, add honeyand ginger juice to it and take it - posted by perfectly_perfect

Dear,

Can I use this recipe on 15month old baby or you think she's too young?

can you please specify the quantity for each ingredient? I'm afraid ginger might cause burning sensation in her little tummy or may be I'm wrong, can you tell me the measurements please