1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

organic vs non organic

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by h1need, Mar 27, 2012.

1. h1need

h1need New IL'ite

are organic foods important for babies. do they make any difference

2. IlovemyMom

IlovemyMom Gold IL'ite

Organic foods are better than normal ones. However Our baby's paed said we can use the normal veges/fruits itself.

3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@h1need going the organic way is an individual choice. Since they do not contain pesticides they are supposed to be better. For my LO I have not gone the organic way. I grew up eating regular vegetables in India. Being born in the US my LO's immunity power is lower compared to Indian babies. So I felt going the regular way would at least help in improving her immunity.

2 people like this.
  4. rainandsnow

rainandsnow New IL'ite

Organic food means no pesticides but regular food has been grown with pesticides. Pesticides are used to kill germs and bacteria. Pesticides in no way shape or form can help us. It cannot help build immunity because what builds immunity in humans are exposure to germs. So if you want to build immunity use organic food.

1 person likes this.
  5. ramyaramani

@rainandsnow if exposure to germs builds immunity then isn't non organic food better to build immunity?

6. rainandsnow

rainandsnow New IL'ite

From my understanding, and I could be wrong, non organic food is grown with pesticides right? So I am assuming that the pesticides would kill off the germs. So when we eat non organic food we wont be exposed of any germs but there is an exposure of left over pesticides. As humans we develop immunity over our lifetime by gradual exposure to germs. If the body has never encountered a germ it cannot build antibodies against it for future immunity.

2 people like this.
  7. ramyaramani

@rainandsnow now I understand your line of thinking. But then even organic products are treated for germs. Only thing pesticide is not used. Real manure is used. So there are supposed to be no germs in organic too. Honestly organic or non organic, they have germs due to the entire distribution process.

We are exposed to toxins everyday. The pesticides are monitored by environmental protection agency. But nobody can guarantee that a food has no pesticide. It is bought to a tolerance when we wash/cook food. If it was not safe then by this time only organic food would exist.

1 person likes this.
  8. amrithabox

amrithabox New IL'ite

That is a very dangerous and wrong idea. Washing just removes the outer pesticide, whatever toxins reach the soil and whatever harmful chemicals leech into the water are absorbed by the plants and no amount of washing can remove that. Also Animals eat these plants without washing and they enter our food chain through cows milk, chicken etc. Artificial fertilisers also upset the natural balance in the soil often making vast areas barren and in need of more artificial pesticides. Germs are another issue altogether. Pesticides kill germs and pests who after a point develop immunity and come back even more potent, leading to more potent pesticides. Organic pesticides also kill the pests but without the accompanying poisoning of the environment. Many of these pesticides are carcinogens (cause cancer) or developmental inhibitors (esp in children).

2 people like this.
  9. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

I recently visted a Organic shop in Chennai.I bought Pristine organic 1st bites baby food mix & organic biscuits.My DS likes it as of now.Check the labels before buying anything organic.

10. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I have been using organic veggies for my LO. One day, I didn't find any organic sweet potato at Walmart and I cooks with regular one. She seemed fine (ya, I get it. Nothing shows outside). While I try to buy organic stuff, I am slowly getting away from it and go the regular way. How?
    Here is how. Yesterday for the first time, when I was making toor dal for us for dinner, I added tomatoes which were not organic. After cooking, I simply took out a little for my LO and added chili powder etc for us. So, basically, i am trying to get her to eat what we eat with less spices. I normally (really??) cook healthy meals even for us. So gently transitioning her to the adult way (only for dinner, as I give her rice for dinner).

This is possible only if she goes non-organic way as I really don't think we can afford to go all organic for the entire family.