1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cerelac for a 6 month baby ???

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by mommynprincess, Apr 19, 2011.

1. mommynprincess

mommynprincess New IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I live in the US,
    I need some help with solid foods for my breastfed 6 month old! She just turned six. I introduced solids 1 month back.
    She doesn’t like any food mixed with Breastmilk or Formula. She doesn’t have milk in bottle either. All she likes is bananas, ragi, or sometimes sweet potatoes, dal-rice pani.But all this with great effort.
    I had to resume my job ,so my mom tries to fit in solid feeding while I am away, and when I get home I feed her.but she is fussy most times as she doesn’t LOVE eating solids.

I wanted to try Cerelac, as I think she will like it. I know it has milk and sugar, and in US, pediatricians say NO to Cows milk. But I am in a tough situation here, I don’t know what else to try that she will love solids

In India, everybody gives Cerelac or Farex starting 6 months, Infact we all grew up healthy and fine eating Cerelac at six months. Please advise if anyone has tried Cerelac for their 6 month baby?
    Should I try it on my baby girl at six months?

Can someone suggest some new recipe that a 6 month baby is sure to love??

Thankyou !!

2. Kumarimouni

Kumarimouni Senior IL'ite

hi
    my DD just completed 7 months.she also didn't like cereal in starting.after 1 month she liked ..now iam giving rice and oats or rice and barly combination.she likes alot.
    i think slowly they will like.will see other IL 's replies.

3. rpm2

rpm2 Senior IL'ite

You can try celerac or rice cereal as it is called here. You can mix it with breast milk or formula and try it out. If she does not like then you can mix it with hot milk.

In the US many kids have dairy allergies and hence the doctors ask parents to wait till 1 yr. You can start slowly and see if your DD has any reaction.

4. mommynprincess

mommynprincess New IL'ite

Thankyou so much ladies !!!

My DD does not like breastmilk or formula mixed with any food ( i have tried for almost 2 months)
    I am very tempted to start using organic cows milk to mix with her foods, as i tried it once and she didnt mind it. In the US , pediatricians say NO to diary...but in India they startr diary at 3 months yar!
    I think I am going to try cerelac with her....wish me luck....

5. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

Hi

you can buy samba wheat sooji/rava from the indian stores and soak that rava about two tbsp in water and grind it for one or two minutes in the small mixi jar.It will turn out like a bubble gum(sticked together like an elastic).Then you can filter it and you will get a white liquid from that.Add milk with that liquid and boil the liquid stirring continuously.Add sugar or palm sugar for taste.The end product will be a white colloidal substance and feed your child.I hope it will be easy for her to swallow and make the desired consistency by adding or reducing milk or water to it whild cooking.It is definitely good for your child's health.
    Also you can buy oats and powder it dry and cook it with milk and water.It also will be colloidal.
    You can soak one or two almonds with 1 tbsp parboiled rice(or even idly rice) for at least three hours and then grind it and cook it with milk and water.For this you should add little more water sisce the product will become very thick after cooking.

6. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I was in India when my son was 6 months old, and I gave him cerelac. Worked out great. Later on I switched to nestum which does not have milk and we used to add cows milk to it. Both worked out well.

7. Tanujam30

Tanujam30 Silver IL'ite

I am here in US & my daughter absolutely didnt want the american rice cereal with or without fruit, oat or barley with BM/formula. I gave her cerelac at 6 months..Loved it & still does (14mnth) & she is fine :)

8. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Cow's milk is hard to digest @ 6 months. So it is advisable not to give it until they are closer to 1 year.
    I would atleast wait until 2-3 months (atleast until she is 9 months old) before you start adding regular milk to food.

Try the stage 1 gerber foods. They have lots of variety.

Also at this age (@ 6 months) solids DO NOT form part of the regular meals. Breast milk/ formula is STILL the main source of food. Solids just supplement their food but NOT substitute.

If she is refusing bottle for milk then try a sippy cup or do spoon feeding. Are you trying to give the bottle or is someone else giving the bottle? Most of the times Little ones don't like to take a bottle when mom is around. So have someone else give the bottle.

Also who said that in India they start dairy @ 3 months?? 3 months is way toooo early to start dariy!!

My 2 cents!