1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Starting LO on solids

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by manuag, Mar 28, 2011.

1. manuag

manuag New IL'ite

Hi,
    My daughter is 6 months old. I tried giving her couple of things like rice powder ( in water), suji kheer, biscuit mixed with milk but she does not like any of them. She will not open her mouth at all and I am so confused as to what should I give to her. Should I force her to eat it ? Can someone suggest anything else which I can try giving her.
    Also, till now she was completely BF so was not giving her water. But I think I should now start with water coz of solids, so how much water should I give her in a day.

2. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi manuag,

1. Yes, you can give her water after boiling-cooling it.
    2. Mash the apples completely - puree like consistency. I am sure most of the kids love apples. (Buy the red ones)
    3. Try Cerelac - while mixing make sure there are no hotspots (mix it well without forming lumps)
    4. Biscuits - try the soft ones and give a piece in her hand and see if she is trying to put it in her mouth
    5. Raisins - soak (black ones are preferred) them overnight, just mash between fingers and give her

3. vanna

vanna Gold IL'ite

Hi manuag,

As your LO is just 6months try only cerelac stage one - Rice(initially) then wheat (available in diff flavours). start only in the morning first and then slowly increase it to twice a day and then thrice. Slowly you can start other foods like ragi, suji rawa, when she/he reaches 7-months.
    Water can be given while feeding solids.
    You can palce cut pieces of apple in bowl and pressure cook it without water in bowl (steam cooked).Smash it and give don`t add sugar.This is the best item i could give my baby when she was 6 months. It is easy to digest and baby loves it.:)
    You can also give smashed banana.
    All these above to be tried and given in the afternoon.
    Evening food should be light and be given within 7-7.30pm (as per my own exp):hiya
    Hope this will help

VaNNa:hatsoff

4. tinks

tinks New IL'ite

Hi,

My baby girl too is now 6 months. I started off with ragi cereal and then proceeded to veg and fruit purees (steam cooked till tender n pureed). Now that she is used to the taste of most of these, i experiment by mixing them [​IMG]

Fruits - pear, apple, banana, papaya
    Veg - green beans, pumpkin, peas
    Cereals - Cerelac wheat, cerelac wheat apple, ragi, nestum, home made brown rice

And these are the combinatios that she relishes -
    Ragi n apple, pear n apple, nestum n pumpkin, peas n pear, rice n beans

Some times i take 1 scoop less than that prescribed for cerelac/nestum and then add a dollop of fruit/vegpuree to make it more nutritious. :) I also started giving her small amounts of home made curd and she absolutely loves the savory taste. :) Also as long as you are BFing, dont worry about water. Probably few sips (appox 1-2 oz) during each solid feed will do.

What kind of spoon are you using? Make sure it is gentle on baby gums so that the baby wont start hating spoon. :crazy

Hope this helped. Let me know ur baby's response.
    Happy feeding!!![​IMG]
    Tinks

5. hemaka

hemaka New IL'ite

whatever you are giving is good continue giving that ..as other have suggested you could add apple ,banana
    as long as you are bf ing don't worry water .but offer it at the end of
    each solid feeding .your baby will learn to expect it .
    eating solids is lot work compare to drinking milk thats why maybe the baby is fussy .once she starts recognizing the taste she will like it .
    try adding pumped bf milk to the cerelac and once she accepts it slowly reduce it.