1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Underweight 3 year old - pls help!

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Lavika, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Lavika

Lavika New IL'ite

Hello Ladies,
    I am Lavanya from Virginia. I have a 3 year old son - Adarsh, and he weighs 26lbs. He has always been a very poor eater, always prefers only milk. i have to spend atleast 2 hours for him to eat just 2 bites of any food. i tried giving him finger food, or food that he can feed himself, but he will eat only when he is in the mood. otherwise he doesnt even want to look at it. if he is hungry he asks only for milk. if idont give it to him, he will stay hungry for however long but will not eat anything. i keep making healthy food for him, but everything goest waste because he doesnt want to even look at it. my husband, motherinlaw, parents and everybody tried but it is the same with everybody. he will not eat. i thought he will change after going to play school and maybe eat if he sees other kids, but it is still the same. he wants only milk. all doctors have said that other than his weight everything else is normal. genetically also, everyone on my husband's side is underweight and tiny. if my son eats food and remains skinny then i wont feel bad. but he doesnt touch or even look at food. very rarely he will have 1 or 2 bites from a pizza slice or a biscuit. pls help, i am getting depressed, guilty and frustrated. is there a solution to breaking this cycle???

sorry the post got so long.
    thank you in advance!
    lavanya

2. Sreyavas

Sreyavas Bronze IL'ite

Hmmmm,

I can exactly understand what you are going thru.,

After reading your post it felt like we both are sailing in the same boat .

Well regarding your kid you can try these tips and see if this works for your kid too.., But let me tell you i heard the same conclusions from my kid pediatrician that she is healthy just normal weight it might be genetic (under a healthy weight). just normal growth. some eat less and some eat more.

then i worked so hard on her to put on track , made a systematic routine everyday of her intake food which make her gain weight.

1. First it is important to ascertain the reason for this. (genetic then it may take some time ).

2. if he likes only milk then you might also try giving him pediasure (you get different flavors strawberry, vanilla, chocolate, in walmart ).

3. since Milk is his fav trying mixing in it mashed bananas) .

4.Cook simple recipes with your child. Ask him to put toppings on pizzas before putting them in the oven. help him to prepare the food he likes.

5.Supplement energy foods with nutrient dense foods.

Try banana shakes, fruit custard and creamed soups. Serve soya bean chunks or bit-size boiled vegetables like carrots, broccoli along with a cheese dip or fondue. Top pizzas with boiled vegetables. Make puri/egg rolls with stuffings of mashed potatoes with peas, grated carrots and chopped beans.

6.Any dietary supplement can be taken only on doctor's advice.

and many more finally i think you are the best judge of what adarsh likes and how you can make him understand to eat all.

hope these tips works for you..,
    and by the way where in virginia are you may be we can be in touch.

cheers
    sreya

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

When I was a kid (back in the Dark Ages when things were simpler), the treatment to get kids to eat (in this type of situation) was to get a vitamin B (B12? B-complex?) shot at the doctors office. A vitamin B deficiency can reduce the feeling of hunger and conversely the shot will increase hunger. The shots work miles better than the pills.

Dietwise, butter everything; cheese, eggnog, pudding; nut butters.

4. Lavika

Lavika New IL'ite

Thank you Sreya & Tashi. I will check with pediatriacian reg.the b12 shot.

Sreya - I am in Herndon,where r u located? I am already giving him pediasure and gummy vites. milkshakes sounds like a good idea. will try that!

thanq:)

5. anukv

anukv Bronze IL'ite

Lavika,

my friend also had the same problem. But when we talked to the doctor, she said some kids have less appetite. And there is nothing to worry as long as they are active as the rest of the kids.
    Also I would like to suggest to give him Gummy Vitamin Bears available in Costco, I give them 4 a day. For some reason I guess it will increase appetite. My son is eating well after I started them . Try them
    Good Luck dear

6. Lavika

Lavika New IL'ite

Thank you Anu. I am giving him 2 gummy vites per day already. should i give him 4?

7. anukv

anukv Bronze IL'ite

I give him 4 and I also told my pediatrician, she said that is fine, I give him all 4 at once sometimes OR 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening,
    She also suggested if they dont eat these Gummey bears, there are Soft Chewys in Costco.
    I never tried them as my DS is eating these.

8. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

My nephew is very underweight as well. In fact he is off the charts - has been since birth. What has been somewhat working is gripe water right after bath in the morning. It seems to increase his appetite a little. My sister waits 30 mins after giving gripe water and gives him the biggest meal of the day. The ped also recommended a couple of other meds to stimulate hunger but gripe water seems to work the best.

I have also seen that with my nephew, it is about control. He does not eat if he is upset about something else. He controls his environment through his eating. He stops eating sometimes to get attention. Sometimes to get a reaction out of my sister and so she struggles to completely take any emotion out of this. She is very matter of fact when dealing with him, calm and positive. She vents to her husband, our parents or me only when my nephew is not present.

I hope this info helps somewhat. My heart goes out to you. I wish things will get better soon.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  9. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Dont worry folks, I've been an underweight kid, fussy eater etc. Still no issues, as long as kids are active - it will be ok.

10. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hey spidey,

Looks like we both were same.
    I was underweight till I attained my puberty. I was fussy eater. I still am :spin

But now I am overweight and trying to reduce the weight?? :crazy

Lavika: I can see your anxiety over the kids' eating habits. My mom used to give me threptin biscuits those days.
    Also try giving kadukai (herda) - it is natural, no side effects. It can increase the hunger, but every kid is different. so it might take a while to figure out what works for your DS