1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Carrots for baby

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by malar_arasi, Sep 9, 2010.

1. malar_arasi

malar_arasi Silver IL'ite

Hello All,

LO is close to 6.5 months old and planning to give carrots for him. I have few questions regarding the same

1) I see the term baby carrot used extensively. Should we use the same for infants ?

2) Can we mix carrot with dal and rice other than making basic puree...I read somewhere about the nitrate content in water. so it is safe to mix along with dal and rice as a khicdi and give it to baby.

Regards,
    Malar

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Hey Malar ... so the twins are onto solids huh? congrats! don't forget to take lots of pics !

my doc friend recommended that for infants we should only use the baby food jar carrot purees. reason being in some parts of the country nitrate levels are high and if carrots are grown in them, that can be passed on to kid and be harmful. the jar food carrots are screened to ensure normal level of nitrates.

I used to make khichdi and add in the baby jar food carrots after removing the khichdi from the cooker. I really liked the gerber brand organic carrot pureee (comes in plastic tubs pack of 2).

as for baby carrots, not good to give to kids too much. they spray the carrots with some sort of bleach solution to keep them from spoiling (leave the carrots out on the counter and the bleach will make the skin of the carrot turn white).

3. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

malar, initially i gave my baby baby food jar carrots, but starting 7 months i started using regular carrots, initially as carrot and beetroot soup and carrot and apple soup, around 8 months used regular carrots in khichdi...

we never did "baby carrots"

however its okay to give ur baby regular carrots post 7 months and thats wat we did without any issues....

heres more info if u want

Carrots are often one of baby's first food. They are easy to digest and are packed full of nutrients such as Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Calcium.

<TABLE border=0 cellPadding=15 width=234 align=right><TD width=253>

Due to the issue of Nitrates, recommendations for the introduction of carrots varies. We have found that more often than not, the recommendation for introducing carrots is between 7 and 8 months old. <!-- BEGIN GN Ad Tag for Wholesome Baby Food 300x250 ros -->

4. malar_arasi

:thankyou2: Poo's :) ( Pooja and Poonam ) for the info..

5. malar_arasi

By the time I feed them , I get exhausted..so no time to think about photos at all.. Thanks for reminding me

6. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

I could imagine!

One of our friends had twin baby girls (1 normal delivery, 1 c-section!) and we went to visit them. by the time one baby was fed and put down for a nap, the other one was screaming for her next feed. it was exhausting just looking at the parents + grand-ma juggling the feeding, burping, diapering and putting down for a nap duties !

7. malar_arasi

The scenario is almost same in our house with me & my mom juggling.. luckily we also have a full time babysitter to help which gives us some breathing space here and there

8. PinksAndBlues

PinksAndBlues Senior IL'ite

Hi malar
    Please go through this article regarding nitrate content.

Nitrates, Carrots, and Homemade Baby Food - Nitrates and Making Homemade Baby Food Carrots, Spinach and More

As for the chlorine/bleach , it is true that carrots (like all other fresh cut ready to eat veggies) are processed with chlorine , but the white film is not because of it, rather it is because of the cut portions drying out. Even fresh carrots not treated with chlorine will dry and turn white if you cut a part of it.

Snopes is a reliable site and you can see the full article here.

snopes.com: Baby Carrots

Hope this helps