Ask here - The recipes you want from ChitVish

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Priya Amarnath, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Priya Amarnath

Priya Amarnath Bronze IL'ite

My dear chithra

Nice to hear that you will be replying for all querries related to Indian cooking. I am going to post the first querry here. Can u please share the recipe for making carrot halwa in microwave oven. Please take your own time to post the reply. Thanks in advance

Love and Regards
    Priya

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2006
    Vidya24 likes this.

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

The recipes you want from me.

My dear friends,

If you write to me what recipes you want from me here, I shall start threads suitably under various captions & post them in that thread. As you must have noted , I have already started threads for sweets & tips.
    We can have - desserts , vegetable dishes , sambar&rasam , raitas etc.
    Hope this is fine with you all .
    Regards, Chitvish.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2005
    sameeraja likes this.
  3. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Hi Mrs.Chithra,

Nice to see the lists of sweet recipes.

Have a doubt regarding sone burfi-is it similar to sone papdi?And, medium consistency means half string consistency?

Certainly, this is also one of the sweets which goes for occasions like Deepavali..Pls proceed yr tasty contributions.

Rgds & TIA

4. Chitvish

Sone papdi & sone burfi are different.!

Hi ami ,

Sone papdi & burfi are different. sone papdi needs professional expertise to make it - I am not competent to make it .
    Medium string is "getti kambi patham" - but before the 2 string consistency.
    When you make it you will be able to identify the patham better than reading about it when I write! Usually in my house I start trying out small quantities of the planned sweets for Deepavali so that I am thorough with the procedure before I make them for the festival.
    Regards,
    Chitvish.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2005
  5. jyoti

jyoti New IL'ite

Look forward to more of your recipes...

Hello Chitvish,

Look forward to more of your recipes.

I know you have already started with some sweet recipes - many of us can try for Diwali that is nearing. I would also like to ask you about 'Diwali legiyam'.

My grandma used to make for us those days, that helped us manage with too much sweets ate during Diwali :oops:

6. Chitvish

Diwali legiyams

Hi Jyoti, Thanks for your message . I am giving 3 different Diwali legiyams in a new thread "Miscellaneous".
    Regards, chitvish.

7. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Rava upma

Dear Chithra Madam,

Need your help..

When I was in India,I had no problem making rava upma,It used to come out so well.

But from the time I landed here in U.S.,my rava upma comes out pathetic.Infact I have stopped making it altogether.I roast rava and make upma.Even then,my upma comes out very sticky.What could be the problem.I initially thought the rava we get here could be the problem.So I tried fine variety rava as well as coarse variety...still no change....

Can you help me with this.....:confused:

8. Chitvish

Let us try to solve the mystery of upma!

Hi Sunitha,
    Upma , though considered an easy tiffin , is not easy to make perfectly !
    Normally Bombay rava takes(if , well roasted) 1 3/4 - 2 cups of water & wheat rava takes 2 1/2 - 3 cups of water . As soon as you buy rava , roast it dry on a pan , on medium heat till very well roasted & keep . This way, roasting to be done when you make upma , is minimum.
    1 cup of bombay rava needs 1 3/4 - 2 cups water.
    1 cup wheat rava needs 2 3/4 - 3 cup. All this , assuming that you have roasted the rava very well.(this is the key point )
    Next is oil .Perfect upma requires correct amount of oil - in fact a tsp more makes the upma so soft & nice. That is why upma served in restaurants & weddings is so delicious - they are not bothered to be stingy about oil , because they want to give the best taste .
    For 1 cup B.rava - keep 2 cups of boiling water ready . (i don't add cold water to hot rava because lumps are sure to form!) . In a vessel , heat (bare minimum) 2 tbsp of oil, temper mustard seeds , 1 tsp udad dhal , i tsp gram dhal , chopped onions , green chillies & ginger , cuury leaves & fry till onions are transparent. Now add the (pre roasted )rava & continue to roast on a medium flame till the rava gets well heated. Now decrease the flame , add 1 3/4 cups boiling water, stirring well ( I find a whisker useful ) , add salt & hing. You will now know whether you need to add 1/4 cup more of water or not. Mix thoroughly , lower the gas & wait till the entire water is absorbed & the rava is cooked. Mix once again & keep covered - rest for a few mts. Now some people add a tsp of ghee as topping to give a good flavour - this is optional.
    In Chennai , I find that all branded ravas take 2 cups of water. But always keep rava very well roasted & the roasting to be done with other ingredients when making upma should be minimum.
    I think I have ended up writing an essay on upma ! If you try it ( I am sure , successfully ) please send me a feedback.
    Regards,
    Chitvish.

9. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

Need Receipe for easy Mysorepak!!!!!

Hi Mrs. Chithra,

I would like receipe for mysorepak, I can never get that right. Thanks!!!

Regards
    Jaya

10. Lakshmivinoth

Lakshmivinoth Senior IL'ite

Sweet Savories for Diwali

Hi Chithra

As Diwali is nearing, can you please suggest few tasty and easy to make sweet savories?

Regards

Lakshmi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.