Tips , tips , tips.

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Chitvish, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Deeyashu,
    Welcome to IL.
    This is a great platform where Indian ladies, all over the globe, share together, laugh together and if need be, cry together!!
    Thanks for your nice words.Love,
    Chithra.

2. chidambaripanyam

chidambaripanyam Senior IL'ite

Dear Madam

Recently i have purchased Rice Cooker. I have used it 5,6 times. But i could not get rice without sticking to the vessel. Can you please give me some tip on this. I have gone through your Tips Tips thread which is most useful. But i could not found any tip on this problem.

Madam, take your own time.

Thank you very much

3. Chitvish

Dear Chidambari,
    The rice cooker gets seasoned over time. When the rice is almost cooked, just 5 mts before, switch off.The sticking is minimum. On cooling , the rice comes off completely without sticking. Please go through
    which is best electric rice cooker?

Love,
    Chithra.

4. chidambaripanyam

chidambaripanyam Senior IL'ite

Dear Madam

Thankyou very much for your immediate reply.

As you have suggested, i have already gone through that thread but could not found any solution to my problem. My electric rice cooker is KENSTAR Brand. Normally i will use the rice immediately. As you said , in my cooker also sticking is minimum. What i felt is even it is minimum, it should not get wasted. Next time i will try to switch off 5 minutes before. Thankyou once again madam.

5. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Dear chitra mam,

Hope this is the right place to clarify with you few doubts of mine.

1. When making curry out of vegetables i generally dont add much water instead i spread evenly in a non-stick pan with very little oil and low flame. it takes some extra time but i felt comfortable cooking in it. Many say cooking in non-stick is not advisable so i tried the same method in regular pan. It consumed more oil comparitively. Few suggest me to boil the vegetables strain the excess water and then finally season with less than a tsp of oil. Is it ok to strain the water? Wont the veggie's loose it potentials? Or should i pressure cook it,as you have referred in the tips section? Hope it wont become soggy in that short duration.

2. While making tamarind paste is it compulsory to add salt in it before refrigerating? Does it act as a natural preservative, or can the paste withstand without salt?

3. Is it ok to soak dals like Tuvar, Moong, Bengal gram overnight and cook it next day morning with less number of whistles?

4. Recently i bought jaggery and made a sweet. Taste was good but had a slight different smell. My neighbour told it must be "Marundhu Vellam". whatz the difference between this and the regular?

Sorry to load with these many queries. Nothing urgent, please get back whenever you find time. Thanks a lot mam.

6. Chitvish

Dear Cindhuja,
    1 - your method is quite fine. Keep it covered so that the vegs will cook in their own steam. Sprinkle little water if necessary.
    My method of pressurecooking works well & I use the strained water for rasam or sambar.
    2 - Yes, you can soak the dhals after washing very well & cook for less no: of whistles.
    3 - It is just my thought that salt willl act as a preservative for tam paste. May be once, you can try without salt.
    4 There is nothing called marundhu vellam. May be it was karuppatti or panai vellam which has a different flaour. But I love that flavour!:drool
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Dear chitra mam,

Thanks a lot for clearing my doubts. Will sure keep in mind while cooking.Bow

8. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Wonderful and Tempting !!

Dear Chithra aunty,

Fantastic ! You've shown so many different ways to make a Paratha - Square, Round, Spiral and Triangular !! Is that Mint Paratha in the picture?

Really cooking is an art and can be so much fun aunty ! Thanks for making it all the more interesting by constantly finding innovative ways to motivate and encourage us. :) You've tempted us with these pictures !

This sure makes me want to try the Parathas asap !!

Thanks & Regards
    Krithika

9. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Difference

Dear aunty,

What is the difference between the second step of the Round Paratha and the first step of the Spiral paratha?

In both the pictures, the radius is cut and folded ..right?
    Oh oh..now I see it...for the Spiral paratha, you seemed to have cut it a bit more than the radius length..? That is why it appears longer after it is folded compared to the round parathas?

Thanks & regards
    Krithika

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  10. Chitvish

Re: Wonderful and Tempting !!

Dear Krithi,
    Extremely flattering to receive suach a quick FB.
    After the new dough-kneading method, parathas have become a child's play. I have ready 4 more to be posted besides 10-12 lined up for trying out!!
    The picture is not mint paratha. Two are palak-alu paratha & red pumpkin-palak paratha!!
    Love,
    Chithra.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.