How to make Kerala Puttu in a microwave

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by suryamarysam, Sep 5, 2010.

1. suryamarysam

suryamarysam New IL'ite

Hi,

I am a new member to Indus Ladies, in fact I just joined up yesterday. I have a query regarding how to make Puttu using a microwave. Back home in India I used to use a traditional Puttu maker, but here in London i do not have one and the only option i could think of was a microwave.

Any info on this would be really helpful.

Surya

2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    welcome to the site. But you could have posted this query in the Miscellaneous thread in this sub forum.
    Anyway, I would like to suggest one thing. You can cook puttu in the microwave by steaming. But you may not have a culindrical mould for this. I would suggest that you mix the puttu flour and coconut scrappings together, line up a steamer basket with microwavable paper or white cloth and keep the mix inside that. Take water in the base vessel for steaming and keep the steamer, close the container with the lid (with a ventilator to let out the steam) and micro high for 3 minutes. I have made idiyappams this way but instead of cloth/paper, I used banana leaf. I use banana leaf this way to steam idiyappams,kozhukkattai, nombu adai etc.