1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is Cauvery mine or yours?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rvnachar, Feb 20, 2007.

1. rvnachar

rvnachar Silver IL'ite

IS CAUVERY YOURS OR MINE?

So, the cat is out and the trouble started! I sometimes wonder whether I am living in a democracy, because we are spending a large chunk of our resources on maintaining law and order and defending our country, like a military economy.

25000 policemen were on the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Bangalore</st1:place></st1:City> streets as a precautionary measure on the day of the Bundh announced against the Cauvery verdict. Sad! If we have to buy peace at such a high cost, can we call ourselves civilized?

Since time immemorial, man has been settling down on the banks of rivers and lakes. Fresh water is the most essential need of life. Fresh water being limited to just 2 or 3% of the entire water available on this planet, sharing is very important. River water disputes between countries remain unsettled for years. Sometimes nature gives its own solutions or rather shows its ire by way of flooding the rivers, causing pain to all the concerned countries.

At a time when we are talking of ‘global village’, it is a shame on us that we have no cordial relationships with the other States of our own country. I was shocked to hear learned men throwing venom in their words when this issue was discussed. Hatred against some community or some individuals colours all their perceptions about any such important decision.

Indian philosophy talks so much of detachment and shunning of the ‘ego’ but here we are, claiming ownership of nature’s gifts. Nature is so selfless. Despite so much damage being done to nature by man, so many trees ruthlessly being chopped off and so many rivers being polluted heartlessly, you will be surprised to see how the few remaining trees yield beautiful flowers, fruits and nuts at the right time and rains keep replenishing the rivers on a regular basis. Right now, go around the city and you will find all mango trees covered with millions of flowers, ready to offer you a wonderful season of mangoes. Why can we not learn lessons from nature? Why don’t we accept that man is after all a small part of this wonderful universe? How can he act so big?

It is high time all the natural resources are nationalized and distributed equitably amongst all States. After all, all of us are interdependent. We depend on each other for power, food grains, vegetables, fruits, milk and so many other things. We relish oranges from Coorg, mangoes of Andhra and Tamilnadu, apples of <st1:place>Kashmir</st1:place>, tea of <st1:country-region><st1:place>Assam</st1:place></st1:country-region>, bananas of Kerala and so many other things from so many other places. We enjoy tours of exotic locales of Kerala, palaces of Rajasthan, forests of the North East and <st1:place>Himalayas</st1:place>, lovely temples of Tamilnadu, beaches of <st1:place>Goa</st1:place> and the snowy slopes of <st1:place>Kashmir</st1:place>. Then why don’t we realize that life this way is more enjoyable than leading lives within limited territorial boundaries ever under threat of invasion/intrusion?

General public should stop trusting the politicians and biased media reports. The same decision opposed by one party from the opposition benches will be supported when the roles change! That shows how selfish politicians are. Have you ever heard of any politician losing his life in riots kicked off by such issues? It is always the poor and innocent common man on the street who loses his life. There is no issue that cannot be resolved by peaceful talks between the concerned parties i.e., the farmers of both the States in this regard. By fighting among ourselves, we are making it very convenient for alien parties to enter the field with their ulterior plans. Nobody gives free advices.

Let us all check things out ourselves, before making any sweeping comments of issues, leading to unnecessary tensions and riots.

Sudha Narasimhachar

sindmani likes this.

2. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sudha,
    It wasa bold write up. We need more people like you toawake our people against politicians. After all man is a social animal, so why should he fight with his own species?Mpreover most of the water from rivers flows into the sea.Where is the need to quarrel.?
    Regards,
    Meenu

3. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sudha
    Yeah a really bold writeup, summing up the situation so well! I always knew taht this was always so politically entangled, that there will never be a solution....i had happened a few years ago , when we were inB'lore and the curfew affected me also, as my husband was sick and i had a tough time reaching help! It really gets in the way of common people , who i am sure are not even bothered about sharing the Cauvery! actually our country is going to the dogs, only because it is in the hands of a few politicains , who rule it according to their whims and fancies....worse than a military rule!

By the way i tried hunting for ur other articles , it was Sulekha .com right.....maybe u could post the links here, for easily accessing them.....
    Thanks for sharing this post.....:2thumbsup:

4. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Dear Sudha,
    a perfect write-up and a perfect timing.
    yes, the amt of destruction & chaos does spark a lot of questions.
    I only hope a lot more people read such articles & decide for themselves where they stand. the same bandh night I travelled on mys-bgr road I did witness a lot of youngsters, all drunk and out of senses, wandering all about & that's what is the gain at the end of the day.
    It's a very sad state of affairs out there.

Love & regards,

PS : I also read your middle (sometime last week or so ) on your pet. I loved reading it and the ending did melt me. Though I'm not an animal person, I accepted a dog for my hubby & daughter's sake and today, I'm all for it & sometimes feel everyone shld have this experience too in life. Good one Sudha!!

5. BhargaviChakravarthy

BhargaviChakravarthy Bronze IL'ite

""

General public should stop trusting the politicians and biased media reports. The same decision opposed by one party from the opposition benches will be supported when the roles change! That shows how selfish politicians are. Have you ever heard of any politician losing his life in riots kicked off by such issues? It is always the poor and innocent common man on the street who loses his life. There is no issue that cannot be resolved by peaceful talks between the concerned parties i.e., the farmers of both the States in this regard. By fighting among ourselves, we are making it very convenient for alien parties to enter the field with their ulterior plans. Nobody gives free advices.

Let us all check things out ourselves, before making any sweeping comments of issues, leading to unnecessary tensions and riots.""

You are right two hundred percent.Not only in this cauvery issue ,for any maters let it be price rise,or anything connected to it,the ultimate sufferers are none other than the pity common man.We would have heard recently abt the death of some people due to over crowd on issue of relief funds on floods .Actually they were not issued on that particular day.It is a rumour by some cheats cleverly exploiting the weakness of poor people.We cannot change the whole world but do the only thing of being cautious.The old proverb says":Dhushtana kandal thoora vilagu"

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  6. SubhaD

SubhaD New IL'ite

A good topic, Sudha. And sane views, too. Is it not strange that all matters pertaining to the Cauvery is decided by the politicians of Tamilnadu, Karnataka, not to forget the new entrant, Kerala and of course, Delhi? What are the views of the genuine "sons of the soil", the farmers of the concerned areas? There is an association of farmers of Tamilnadu and Karnataka called the Cauvery Family, who try to make their voices heard. Does the media highlight their views? Not to my knowledge.
    Maybe a line here, a line there. If the farmers were to decide on the sharing of the waters during the surplus or lean seasons, I'm sure there will not be so much animosity or bitterness.
    SubhaD

7. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello

there is no use just yelling at farmers
    who are helpless without water
    be it karnataka, tn or kerala

we eat junk food
    consume more water
    add colas and bottled drinks too

never mind dripping taps
    or running fountains
    and open roadside taps

use western toilet
    flush a lot more
    use washing machines
    and consume water more

fill up pools with chlorine
    use the best detergents
    add enough pollution to
    dear clear water table
    and blame the corporation !!

use fertilisers and pesticides
    that consume more water
    for the crop to grow

paddy sugarcane etc are water intensive
    we have forgotten to grow coarse grains
    ever eat ragi, bajra or millet
    (whatever are they?)
    except in kanji that too rare
    love white sugar dont we?

the eating pattern should change
    try living closer to nature
    the cropping pattern then
    will automatically change

we are quitely watching the water fight
    sitting in the gallery with cola and snacks
    we are equally responsible for the fight !!!

sathya

8. rvnachar

rvnachar Silver IL'ite

Thank you friends for your responses. Particularly what Sathya said is exactly what I keep saying. The so-called progress and development are taking man away from nature, so much so, he has become so self-centred that he feels he is the owner of this universe. He is happily destroying nature for all his endless wants. Acres are forests are vanishing per day, to supply tissue and chop sticks to people around the world. Millions of gallons of fresh water are wasted to water useless lawns grown on lands which once supported thousands of huge and useful trees, to wash vehicles, to flush toilets and maintain posh buildings, while millions of people around the world are dying of hunger and water-borne diseases as they do not get hygienic drinking water too! What kind of justice is this? One man writes about my views that I am pessimistic and the fact is progress is making the city more comfortable and people richer! How blind can people get, to miss scenes where people walk miles to fetch a pot of water, after waiting in long queues, people defacating in the open, as they do not have toilet facilities, young malnourished children toiling from morning to night to feed the hungry siblings and so many such things. Living right inside the IT city, I am able to see this side of the coin. Most of them get carried away by the sky-scrapers, fly-overs, huge apartment complexes, multi-plexes, resorts, six-lane roads, grade separators and airports. Kindly go and check the lives of the labourers who built these for us, the maids who work for us, the slum dwellers and the ordinary people.

My views may sound communist but capitalism is really not the right way a country should develop.

Sudha Narasimhachar

9. nuggehallipankaja

nuggehallipankaja New IL'ite

Dear Sudha,
    That was a well-thought out convincing article!Y ou have brought out all the aspectsvery boldly! The practical side of the problem, and the innocent commonman being made the scapegoat drives home your point.How come you did not give such an enlightening article to the papers?
    Your short story in D.H of today is also very interesting,,denoting your power of observation .
    Nuggehalli Pankaja

10. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello pankaja

ya the write up sure is great
    there are many writers here
    who have good written material with them
    but paper as u say
    do not have interest on these topics
    at least not from people who are new...

sathya