1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

It is not a good sign! Do you agree?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by malspie, Sep 23, 2008.

1. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

It is indeed the Lord’s blessings to have all that you want in life, but do you have to tom-tom about it always and run down others.

I salute my maid who is carrying for the past two months working in 3 to 4 houses and works at her home too before she winds up to sleep, including going for her daily bazaar. She does not have any calcium supplements or vitamins for her body, she is not aware of it too.

Is not life a learning process rather than a process of fight for power and name!

What are we so proud of; give me one thing that I have earned with my money that I can take with me towards my journey to heaven. I cannot think of anything, if any of you around there can, do let me know. Then why few try to run down others so harshly!

Let me introduce you to Naina.

The other day, I got off from my company vehicle at my gate and ran towards the stairs as it was pouring. Naina was waiting on the stairs for her DH to come down and open the car for a quick hop.
    “You did not carry your umbrella”, she asked me
    “I have it in my bag, but it is just few steps from the gate to the stairs so I decided to run”.

“I have never carried an umbrella all my life, I thank my stars for it, I did not have to do all this. Even now I have a car and am moving around in it. In those days, I would just take a cab or rickshaw and reach home.” I just nodded and moved away.

Another incident I would like to quote. Naina looks down upon females who have to go to work. She has worked for a bank for 6 months on temporary basis (for the heck of it). I heard her telling my friend Sonal, “I feel pity for girls who have to go to work, what they get out of it, a pay cheque that can forfeit one EMI of a house, that’s it. They are slaves to their company and boss. I thank my stars I never had to go to work; my husband gives me pocket money which you girls must be earning the whole month. I am not boasting, but thanking my stars. I never had to do it”. Sonal was hurt, I asked her to let it go and ignore her remarks.

We had a Dutch party and Naina was invited. I contribute 150 for one person and she contributes the same for 5 saying her kids are small and they do not eat much! “I have secured myself financially and my kids can have a life of a queen. Gold, diamonds and other luxurious articles are in abundance and I have told them about it too. We can make guys stand in a queue for our daughters and beg for their hands. They do not have to study to earn and make a living nor do they have to struggle in life, with such able parents backing them”. Naina’s statements hurt many invites in the party. Was she doing it deliberately or is it her nature to be that way? Everyone kept pondering over their sleep that night.

Naina was talking to Vimala, “How can people have only few apparels in their wardrobe and keep wearing them again and again. I buy around 7 to 8 sets of salwar suits every month and get them stitched. I have seen people wearing limited number of clothes, not that I am pointing out to their financial conditions, but, it is so shameful to carry oneself that way”. Vimala was in tears as she had 2 sons studying for Medicine and a daughter getting ready for Software. She had planned budget and could not afford such luxuries.

“My husband has given me freedom to do all that I want to do, I live a life of my own and he never bothers me”, she would croon with pride.

I am the youngest in the group, but as usual the shoulder for all tears to flow. I could not take Naina and her false boosts for long. I decided to pay her in the same coin. She came to me saying, “My husband, blah…. “I did not let her continue.

Naina, your husband has given you all the freedom, love and extravagant life; pray that your daughters also get the same life after marriage. You can buy a man for them, you can’t change his attitude. Can you? She was quiet.

I had to teach her a lesson. The other day I told her, “Tanya Godrej is also working, Neeta Ambani is also working, and does that mean, their husbands are poor or their father has not given them any share in the family”. She was quiet.

Every Sunday, I cook different dishes and now have also started trying out my sweets. I purposely give her a plate full to taste. Naina never enters the kitchen. “I can afford to eat out everyday, it is cheaper for me than cooking for one person, but I love to cook and more when I have people coming home. It gives me a pride of being a woman”. I lambasted. Her husband quietly tastes the dishes and a little later I could hear her shouting at her kids (venting anger may be!). It was another lesson on the way.

Again she came in to my hands, “Your husband has given you all the luxury as an indirect payment for being his wife and being the mother of his children. Stop being his wife and let me see how much money comes in to your kitty. Stop being mother for his kids and let me see, if he still gives you the luxury”. I knew she hated me for this and may be has started hating me. Someone had to teach her a lesson. How can someone keep throwing weight on others?

The other day she was asking me, “Why are you praying so much in the morning? Are you going the saintly way?”

“No, I am thanking God, for the beautiful life that he has given me and the spare time, I have in the morning, I do not want to waste it watching TV. I have kept it for prayers so that I can get salvation. Why waste in gossips and bitching?” She was quiet once again.

We are all proud to be blessed and we thank God for our life, does that mean we have to look down upon others?DrowningDrowning

Have you met a Naina in life!

2. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

Dear Mals,:hiya
    this so called lady naina should be taught a lesson. i wear my clothes over and over again it isexpensive to buy clothes here in nairobi, i make dowith what i have and ithankgod everyday for a great family he has given me. she is a materialistic person, shecannot love anybody in here life. she is insecure that is why she is always boasting to get attention. let me tell you i met a naina here my cousin chachi!!!!! shewill do anything to get attention and we get allthe attentione want without making a fuss.

People like Nainashould betaught a lesson, my blood boils when they look down on people and without thinking or being in that persons shoes they start to blab.people like NAINA should be ignored.

have a nice day
    alpa:rotfl

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Alpa,

It was wonderful to read your deatiled FB! Naina cannot be ignored, the females who ignored her, kept getting it back from her everytime they met her, it is at such time, I decided to put her in her shoes. She is humble and straight with me now, we should never try to irritate or make life for others miserable. It will return in 10 folds from the Almighty Court Room.He is watching your action and you have to answer him.

Alpa, since you have met one and have openly mentioned in this thread about it, it would be easy for you to relate to the situations and happenings of the females who faced Naina.

Naina is an attention seeker and I also feel deep at heart she is very insecured and has an inferiority complex!

Thanks Alpa for the FB.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

Very true mals, people like Naina have inferior complex and let me add on something when they fall sick they make such a big thing about it. i don't irritate my aunt or anything i just ignore her. if i am asked a question i reply nothing more to it, she stares at me i stare at her back, let me tell me you an incident that happened a year back, it was diwali and we normally celebrate the new year so i had worn my mum's sari which was given by her parents during her wedding, she has hardly worn it and it is as new and i altered the blouse you know what my aunt did she actually held my saree, she was feeling it and seeing the design on the pallo, she asked me where did i buy the saree from, i told her it was a gift,Big Laugh she used to give me the same answers when as i kid i would ask her where did you get this?

I really feel sorry for people like naina and my aunt becasue they are seeking happiness in materialistic things and they can never laugh from the heart, they are never happy always seeking for happiness in materialistic things. wesimple people can laugh from the heart and always happy with the little things we have in our lives.:crazy

you have really got me started on this topic:rotfl
    We cannot do anything to change them but just watch their drama, they are DRAMA QUEENS:)

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Mals,
    Good post.Well, i have met many Naina's and associated problems in life and that triggered me to write a snippet -Who will bell the cat as well.

Kudos to you for belling that arrogant, dissgusting cat -Naina...They really have no concern or empathy for others and always boast and try to project their wonderful likfe etc...etc. which is :bang ..they seldom realise that they are hurting others by their actions...

Good topic Mals!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Alpa Dearie,

Please accept my sympathies, Naina is just an acquaintance and in your case you have a Naina in your aunt, which is more unbearable. You have to lie with her, there is no escape route yaar.

I have an attitude to live and let live, I do not like to step on anyone's toe until someone comes and steps on mine. After watching Naina and dealing with her, I wanted to put this up on web so that if anyone is carrying such qualities in them, they should quickly try to flush it out from their system and amend their ways of living.

Life is not of what you have got and achieved, it is important to achieve and win, but not by taking curses from people on the way. Good wishes and blessings stay with you during your bad times so does the curses from your fellow beings.

Naina is a character who compared everyone around with her and put them down. I hate such people. I cannot tolerate them.

Your aunt holding your saree palloo -- that scene reminded me of a wedding I attended down South! The ladies out there introduced themselves as "Vijayalaxmi - M.Sc, M.B.A". I could not believe it! I also found each of them pulling others ornaments and tossing them on their fingers to see the weight! It gives them immense pleasure to know that their sarees and ornaments are more expensive than others! I could not believe it. It happens in the weddings here too! When one lady walked up to me to pull my chain, I told her "It is called bad manners in Mumbai. Please do not try it again". Her face fell flat!

Thanks for the FB once again.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Aishu,

Thanks for stepping in with a sweet FB.

I would like to read your snippet, Naina is a cat who meeows for no reason and she had to be belled. She has never tried that trick on me and when I am around, she does not hurt anyone too. I love justice and would call for it. Most of the time in life, I have always fought for the well being of others than myself. Naina and myself were two opposite characters. She has not improved, but has toned down drastically in my presence atleast.

So, you have also encountered Naina (s) in life. Thanks once again for writing in.

Thyagarajan and englishtutorjul like this.
  8. Cutepavi

Cutepavi Silver IL'ite

Dear mals,
    Comparison of jewels and sarees happen often and especially to a newly married bride in her in laws.. i just hate the thought of some one coming to me and asking" how much gold did your mom put for you" .. and the funniest part is it is not the mil fil or the husband.. its all their stupid relatives who ask this question. if it was some one else from the street asking me something about my dress i would have definitely said something. but it was my husbands relatives and i had to keep my mouth shut...
    The comparison is a never ending process to which i had always been a subject... !!

now am glad in a way that am away from all those!!

a good write up.. i would blame naina's husband who is giving her so much pocket money un necessarily...

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Cutepavi,

Naina's DH is a free spirited guy who lives in his own world. She rules the roost and makes all the decisions. He never stops her from doing anything that she wants to do, including ordering breakfast from hotel. She makes him cook on Sundays, the only day he is at home. He has pampered her with jewellery, cash and all luxurious and she feels she has the best husband in the world. I forgot to mention she keeps sayign her husband is the best and she is very LUCKY!

On this too, I pinched her brains. "If your husband lets you do all that you want to do, it means he has got a secret life, where he goes and does all that he wants to do". She hurried back home.

When it comes to relatives, one cannot be bad mouthed and have to bear with some silly habits quietly. I understand what you must be going through when your jewelleries were getting appraised!

It must be a relief for you to be away from such cats!

Thanks for the detailed FB! The discussion is getting better and better with each FB.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. sowmyapbhat

sowmyapbhat Senior IL'ite

Dear Mals,

Once again, kudos to you for putting people in their places! It was extremely intriguing to read about an all-too familiar character like Naina, and wonderfully satisfying to read how you dealt with her!

Characters like Naina abound in our circle, don't they? Even if they are not as flamboyant as she is, many people are waiting to put others down, in the pettiest manners possible!
    You did right, to nip her statements in the bud - it serves as an example to others who are unsure of what to do, and so simply bear with her!

As you aptly summed, everybody has ups and downs in life - the problems may not be obvious, but they are there. We need not feel better if others are in trouble while we are not - because any day, the tables may get turned...Fate does not spare anyone..

Therefore, what you did was wonderful, even with those ladies comparing sarees and jewellery - what you wear is not for others to interrogate you about...unfortunately our society doesn't know where to draw the line..

You deserve a loud pat on the back, for playing this bold role in your neighbourhood! Keep it up!

Cheers,
    Sowmya

Thyagarajan likes this.