indian schools at sohar oman

Discussion in 'Africa & Middle East - Other Areas' started by gjansi, Nov 25, 2009.

1. gjansi

gjansi New IL'ite

Hi

my husband got job in sohar oman and he is in two years contract. so we are planning to shift to sohar on this aprl. if anybody can help me in searching for the indian schools in sohar and also tell me the academic year starts.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2010

2. adelfazin

adelfazin Senior IL'ite

hai ,

how are you.very nice to see a tamil person near by me.sohar is a nice palace .it is near the border of oman.better you join school in alain . there are so many indian schools............. across the border they sent school buses. a lot of faamilys like this only............ if you have any question feel free to ask me................

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2010
  3. gjansi

gjansi New IL'ite

hi adelfazin
    how r u thank u so much for ur suggestion. its great to get some ideas like this. i wl get in touch with u soon. thx

regds
    jansi

4. nimurty

nimurty Gold IL'ite

hi jhansi,
    just saw ur thread.sohar is very quite and calm place.we do have sohar indian school in sohar, but to be frank,the standard is not sooo good. Def iam not impressed with the school,its fine if ur kids are small,but if ur kids r in 7th r 8th my suggession is not to move them from india,that is the best land for studies.

here mainly there is no compettor for the school ,so i feel there is no much development,i am here since 3 yrs here but i didnt c any development in school except strength of the class going high as for every indian parent has no other go ........

otherwise its good place to live with 1 r 2 malls and 4 cinema halls and a small market.

but u have another option if u dont want to leave kids,that u shd stay in muscat if u really want good education and decipline for ur kids and your hubby should do up and down weekends.

this is not to dicourage u,i just frankly want to tell u abt education here scince u started this thread. bcoz there was no one who really guided me in right way when v moved here from bahrain,i really felt bad for kids,no other activities that time but now some institutes come up for extra cicular activities.but school is same to same .....

5. rashmigl

rashmigl New IL'ite

Hello Jhansi and Adelfazin

I am in the same situation as Jhansi's and shall be relocating to Sohar soon( sometime this month)
    My elder son is in 3rd standard and would be admitting him to the Indian school.
    I would be really grateful if you could please update me on the teaching standards since I assume you have already admitted your kids to the school.
    Thanks to both in advance

regards
    Rashmi

6. nivikayal

nivikayal New IL'ite

Yes, as nimurty said Indian school sohar is not much standard compared to muscat or indian standards. But we have no option here to send our kids to some other school. But all other things are quite ok.

7. rashmigl

rashmigl New IL'ite

hello
    Thank you so much..really appreciate such a quick response.

regards
    Rashmi

8. iliketea

iliketea New IL'ite

I have a friend from India and we were talking about Indian school in Oman. He said that he sent his kids to school (Sohar Indian school) but after awhile he realized that his kids had not learn that much and decided to send them back to India because they are more computational schools.

9. nithyarjun

nithyarjun New IL'ite

My search for information about schools in Sohar lead me to this thread. I will be moving there from UAE. Would appreciate if I can get a feedback about school and out of school activities like music and art for my daughter who goes to grade 6. Thanks in advance. I also see that Nimurty is an artist. Do you take classes since me and my daughter are interested in art and take lessons.

10. anuvensam

anuvensam New IL'ite

Hi i am from chennai and my husband will be moving to sohar in this june.My daughter will be attending grade 6 ,..CAn some one give details of the Indian community school and is there any IGCSE school in Sohar and about the extra curricular activities,,We are currenty in chennai and she attends many classes like Piano,swim,yoga,dance,music...Are these classes available and what is the standard of the Indian school there...Currently she attends IGCSE school and pl let me know if such school is available ,if so is it advisable for indians...?

Pl help me in making a decision whether to move or not...