School Admission in Oman-Help Sought

Discussion in 'Africa & Middle East - Other Areas' started by nishaanoop, Jul 22, 2009.

1. nishaanoop

nishaanoop New IL'ite

Hi All,

I'm Nisha Anoop from Kuwait n' we hailing from Kottayam District of Kerala State.

I'm writing this sos-message for my cousin
    who quite recently moved to Oman now facing tremendous hassles to fetch school admission for their child to first standard.

Her Husband is a Medical Surgeon (viz., MBBS, MS attached to a renowed hospital at Muscut) as well.

Should anyone of you can provide assistance or leads or references of someone influential in Oman so as to help them gain school admission that would be greatly appreciated.

The schools they prefer are Indian Community Schools or Schools that follows Indian Syllabus and the preferred areas are Al Khoair, Goobra or Muscut.

Awaiting a helping hand from the great members ou here..

Thanks in advance....

2. ruthika

ruthika New IL'ite

hey, its sad tht it seems there is none from oman..!

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Nisha,

This year, admission into schools has been very difficult. with people moving into oman from dubai, there is a demand for more seats. Indian school Ghubra has already said no to application. the chances are more in Indian School Muscat or Darsait. In fact during my vacation i came across parents who were waiting for the children to get admitted even after the school sessions were underway..

Maybe they should check out if somebody at the hospital itself can recommend.

4. ruthika

ruthika New IL'ite

thanks shanthi for and on behalf of Nisha for the response. But the saddest part is they still running pillar to post......

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

rithika,

I heard from my DH, unless you have some recommendation it is really becoming so tough. his colleague who has got transferred from sohar is also trying.

All the best to your friend. which hospital is her husband working. sometimes the group hr may have some clout and can help. Infact, if she knows some one in the Indian malayalees club, ask for some recommendation into Indian school darsait which was earlier following the kerala state board and has now switched over to Cbse board.

don't worry, ask her to get her kid admitted to any school this year. be it wadi kabir, seeb,darsait -(ISD/ISM), otherwise they can try the international schools too...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  6. rush2me

rush2me New IL'ite

Here you have 3 main schools
    Indian School Muscat-in Darsait (Embassy school)- This yr only afternoon shifts are available. Is very crowded and one tends to get admission though in the after noon shift.
    Indian School-Wadi Kabir - It too is taking admissions to afternoon session only.
    Indian SChool - Gubrah. Its supposedly an elite school with more fees etc etc... but quality of teachers etc is all the same as in other indian schools. Children may be coming from families that are well of / have contacts ...
    The british school etc have exorbiant fees so dunno much about them...

Over all, education here is worse than any good private indian school back home...
    The best part is : Its a great place for FAMILY. The parents have a LOT of time with the children so they can be good teachers instead of just relying on the schools...

7. iliketea

iliketea New IL'ite

i agree with you