Muscat -- Cost of living

Discussion in 'Africa & Middle East - Other Areas' started by rsrajan, Mar 13, 2009.

1. rsrajan

rsrajan Guest

Hello to all

Could someone help me in knowing about the cost of living in Muscat ?
    Details on Rent for 1 BHK apartment (Ruwi), food, taxi, utilities would help.
    Is it true that Rentals have soared in the recent past and what would be
    the best way to find an apartment ?

It would be great if someone could help me find answers for this.

Thanks and Cheers

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Rajan,

Welcome here.

Yes rentals in the last 2 years have almost gone 200% more.

I will give you a rough calculation as I am only going there for my vacation from last year. and the rents,groceries have gone up significantly from the time i was there as a resident.

According to my husband, right now a 1BHK in muscat costs anywhere from RO250 to RO300. You can easily pick your choice once you land up too.

Groceries for a family of 4 would anywhere be 150-250 depending on your style.

Utilities bill for a 1bhk could be anywhere between elec-15+ and water 12+

Taxi..no idea. have never used them.

3. keerthanasm

keerthanasm New IL'ite

Hi Rajan,

Cost of living here has sky rocketed in the last one yr..however, must admit that the cost of gorcereis etc..is all slowly coming down..infact there was an article in todays paper stating that the inflation rate has come down form 11.6 % to 9.3 % !

Ok..now to answer ur questions....I stay in Ruwi..in this side..u can get a one bed room flat for anything from 150 - 300, depending on how new is the bldg. In my bldg, one bedroom flats go for 200 !

Taxi - u have these mini vans that are known as baisa bus..they are pretty cheap like 100 baisa till Qurum and 200 till Alkhuwair etc. If u are single u can take this..but with family then u'll have to take a taxi which will be a little more xpensive.

Utilities - Water would be about 8-10 OMR and electricity - about 15-25. 25, i opeak summer when Acs run non stop !

Hope this helps.
    - Keerthi

4. rsrajan

rsrajan Guest

Hi Shanvy and Keerthi

Thanks a lot for the information, which was comprehensive.
    It would help me to make the final call.
    How easy or difficult is it to find a single bed-room apartment in Ruwi area ? Will it be possible for finding one within 3 weeks once I land there ?
    Hope am not bothering with oft-repeated questions.

Onceagain, thanks for the information provided.

Regards
    Rajan

5. prajaktahraut

prajaktahraut New IL'ite

Hi,

Can anyone help me out of the confusion whether RUMI is a part of MUSCAT or what?

Actually my husband got a job in RUMI and now we are confused about the place, whether this place is safe to move in with your family or not?

And what will be the minimum monthly expenses for a couple if company is providing us with furnished home, car, and medical insurance.

Please help me out of this confusion.

Thanks & Regards,
    Prajakta.

6. keerthanasm

keerthanasm New IL'ite

Hi Rajan,

Have u tyaken a decision yet ??? Do let us know, if we can be of anyhelp.

@ Prajakta,

Hi,

I dont think there is any place called RUMI in Muscat. If u are referring to RUWI, it is a suburb of Muscat City. If what u r referring to us RUWI, shall gladly provide any info required.

- Keerthi

7. rsrajan

rsrajan Guest

Hi Keerthi

Happy new year to you and all visitors to this forum.

Thanks for the enquiry and offer to help.
    I am yet to finalise the date.
    As things stand, I should be making it by may 1st week or 3rd week.

By the way, I would like to know if
    a) rent for apartments have to be paid in advance, annually

b) Any deposit (equivalent of n times the rent) is to be paid.

Will it be possible to find a 1BHK in Ruwi within a month, say by June 1st week ?
    This information would help a lot.
    Thanks for all the information provided.

With best regards
    Rajan

8. shayk

shayk New IL'ite

excuse me hi guys and girls pls suggest how much should be the monthly salary to spend and save in kuwait and oman because it would be better than calculating all the expenses and then taking the decision thank you

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  9. jayar

jayar New IL'ite

Hi Rajan
    welcome to Muscat, I just came in dec but yes the rents are higher than the previous years,But you shd get a 1BHK in about 250 to 350 OMR in Ruwi If it is self cooking its cheap otherwise there are hotels sending lunch for maybe 1.3OMR You cld get rotis and manage for the night. taxis are plenty but yes costs. If you're working in Ruwi all places are walking distance ,Yes the summer will be a problem. Muscat in comparison to other middle east places is very friendly
    jayashree

10. rsrajan

rsrajan Guest

Hello Jayashree
    Thank you for the details provided.

Greetings
    Rajan