Life in muscat

Discussion in 'Africa & Middle East - Other Areas' started by sunithavivekk, Feb 12, 2011.

1. sunithavivekk

sunithavivekk New IL'ite

hello,
    I am moving to muscat in three months time. Plz help me on the details about the lifestyle for indians in muscat. I am a south indian. Do we get our groceries for indian cooking and find domestic help. Plz help

Sunitha

2. dipa19

dipa19 Senior IL'ite

Hi Sunitha
    Congrats on your move to Muscat, I lived there for over 10 years, and totally enjoyed my life there. Dont you worry, for you get all the Indian groceries in Khimjis, Lulu and Haridas Nansey. Lifestyle is as you wish to have. I am from Coimbatore too, and never missed any of the regulars from my life there. You have temples, vadhyar, sastha preethi, religious discourses, indian music/dance/drama shows, indian tailors, fresh flowers, plantain leaves, even kumudam, mangayar malar, whatever you need, name it and you have it there. I had a domestic help come in three times a week for cleaning. Its not very expensive either. You can ask your neighbours for suggesting reliable domestic help, or cleaner, as the case maybe. Hope this info is helpful.
    dipa

3. sunithavivekk

sunithavivekk New IL'ite

Hi dipa,
    Thank you so much for that detailed information. can you plz help in telling about the best indian schools for my son. My son is 3 years and 9 months. I want to know is there any age criteria for admissions. And which is the best indian school in muscat that has good academic and extra-curricular activities.It would be of great help. Happy to know your from cbe. which place exactly in cbe.

sunitha

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  4. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sunitha,

I find Muscat like India its just less populated and much more cleaner. Everything that is available in India is available here. Most places in Muscat you will go and you will wonder am I in India or is this a different country. Omani people are very kind and hospitable and very friendly.

There are Indian School in muscat, the school is called The Indian School and they follow Indian curriculum. I am not that updated about school scenario.

I am sure you will love Muscat and will have a blast here.

regards

5. Shiksou

Shiksou New IL'ite

Hi,
    I am moving to muscat shortly.....can u pls suggest me which area in muscat is gud place tolive?gud
    Prefer malls ndshops nearby....
    Pls help....

Regards
    Shiksou

6. snlch

snlch New IL'ite

Can someone please let me know how and from where , to get fresh flowers for puja near Kuwair
    /ghubra area.
    Is it possible to get the flowers delivered at home?
    Thanks in advance

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

i don't think you get them in alkhuwair or ghubra.. most probably at the krishna temple wadi kabir.. no delivery at home..
    you are settled in oman..how do you like muscat??

8. snlch

snlch New IL'ite

Thanks Shanvy for the reply.

Yes, we have finally shifted to Muscat :). Muscat is good and is a quieter place as compared with Dubai :thumbsup. But, we haven't been able to get admission for our daughter yet:spin. Seeing her sitting at home and missing her studies is the only unsettling part of our move:drowning.

Hoping to see this also sorted out:hiya.

Regards:cheers,
    snlch

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

yes. i love the place..but it is now buzzing so much than way back 2000 when i first visited..there were fewer malls, the traffic was less and now i find too many buildings, too many malls and too much crowd everywhere..I find the change more when i visit for vacations..

you will get the admission soon yaar..

10. snlch

snlch New IL'ite

Thanks dear for the assurance.....