1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does NRI's get unhealthy child for adoption

Discussion in 'Adoption' started by BlueOrchids, May 3, 2015.

1. BlueOrchids

BlueOrchids New IL'ite

Hi All,

As me and my DH are not able to have our own child, so we had applied for adoption in India from CARA. We have been allotted an agency who are looking for a child for us. Here I have one query. We have heard that they mostly propose an unhealthy child to NRI's.

First preference are given to Indians residing in India and the children which are rejected by them ( those who have some health issue) are proposed to NRI's.

How far is this true. Is there any NRI's here who had adopted a child from India.
    Could anyone of you can give some inputs on this, as our major concern is the health of the child.

awaiting for your reply...

BlueOrchids

2. myperspective01

myperspective01 Senior IL'ite

As far as my knowledge goes this is not necessarily true. There are various reasons why a child may not be adopted by Indian parents. Physical/mental health issues may be just one cause.
    Other causes may be
    a. Skin color-Indians generally want a fair baby.
    b. Baby above 1 year-Mostly infants are preferred for adoption.

Also, due to legal changes, NRIs have been put at par with Indian adoptees. Pls refer to link below:

New adoption rules: NRIs to be treated on par with Indians - timesofindia-economictimes

Don't worry, keep up your hopes. Talk to CARA frankly, out of personal experience I can say that they are very frank and can address all your apprehensions.

Best wishes on this wonderful journey!!!

1 person likes this.
  3. BlueOrchids

BlueOrchids New IL'ite

thanks a lot myperspectie01 for the information and your wishes :)

BlueOrchids

4. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

I have seen two adoption cases were the mother passed away prematurely and father was unable to take care of the infant :roll:. both were girls.. both girls are healthy as heaven. Not sure what agency was used for this. all the best. baby dust to you and DH..

5. BlueOrchids

BlueOrchids New IL'ite

Thanks anitha5 :)

6. aniya

aniya Senior IL'ite

blue orchid any luck with adoption??we are also thinking of adopting but not heard of many success stories, pls share with me if u or anyone else has been successful. Also want to adopt a very small baby like 3-6 months for bonding...is this possible?

7. viraghu

viraghu Gold IL'ite

Adoption is always possible... be specific with your conditions of the child.. Thru CARA, check out with karna prayag trust in teynampet chennai... they have their website too... have recently adopted a boy baby of 4 mths... Baby dust to you...
    @BlueOrchids
    It is not true... Keep in touch with the agency with a periodic interval/regular intervals so that you get the baby soon... only thing if you are out of india it might take much more time compared to ppl who reside in india who opt for adoption.. waiting time is generally said as 2-3 yrs for NRI's.. i waited for one and half yrs since i reside in india.. Wish you loads of baby dust!!!

1 person likes this.
  8. BlueOrchids

BlueOrchids New IL'ite

Hi Aniya,

First of all sorry for replaying so late...was busy as hell....so far no luck....they propose some 5-6 children but all of them had some major health issues and our main concern is to have a healthy child.

As far as adopting 3-6 months old baby, I think it's possible, you just have to mention your age criteria while applying for adoption. Just go through the website of CARA and you will get all details.

CARA

good luck

love
    BlueOrchadis

9. BlueOrchids

BlueOrchids New IL'ite

Thanks Viraghu for your wishes :)

10. pamrang

pamrang Senior IL'ite

We are also interested in adopting. We have a biological son. He is 3 years old now. We live in USA. I talked to Karna prayag trust about 4 years ago when I was visiting chennai. At that time they told me that we won't be able to get an infant because of my age and my husband's. I am 38 now and my husband is 41. They told me 4 years ago that we would only be able to get a 4 - 5 yrs old child and as we age more, the child's age would also be more.

We kind of put off the adoption idea at that time because of this reason. We want to explore it again now. If anybody knows of any person who was at our age and still managed to get an infant, could you please let me know?

Thanks!