1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Any parents of adopted kids here?

Discussion in 'Adoption' started by viraghu, Jan 7, 2015.

1. viraghu

viraghu Gold IL'ite

Are there any parents who have brought up an adopted child in this group?? i would like to get in touch with them.Are there any groups for that?? Hope to get a child in few more months... Before that, i would like to get tips from the parents who have brought up such a child!! kindly let me know!! thnks in advance!!

2. mithu202

mithu202 Silver IL'ite

Hi,

My relative has adopted a girl, she is seventh std now.

My suggestion,

Adoption is good thought, but be prepared for that. Anything can happen in future should not lose hope and treat as your own kid.

I see my relative when she does some mistake which is not acceptable she starts complaining , mistake i did was adoption. That thought should not come anytime.

2 people like this.
  3. viraghu

viraghu Gold IL'ite

Thanks for cautioning me mithu202.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

all the best for a smooth adoption.

relax and forget that he/she is adopted.

i have three adopted children in my close circle. all of them were adopted within 1-6 months babies and all are girl babies.

i have seen that they bloom into confident young women with love and affection and knowing they were adopted (they are in the 20's and were told) has not made a difference.

infact in one child i see a lot of similarities between the girl and the mother and i always am forced to think, that we start behaving and looking like the person we are so close to for years. her creativity, her intelligence, manners everything shows that the genes matter only to a very small % and more to how well they are connected to the family.

one word of caution is be cautious and observant about how people behave around your kid. there is still stigma in the older generation, and somebody could always make a comment like "not own blood @##@#@)

9 people like this.
  5. viraghu

viraghu Gold IL'ite

thanks for your positive thoughts and wishes shanvy :) means a lot to me!!

6. zenmur

zenmur New IL'ite

can you suggest from where to adopt - struggling to get to know where can i go for adoption.

Waiting for your response.

thanks
    Zen

7. viraghu

viraghu Gold IL'ite

hi zenmur,

The adoption agency where i registered is in india-chennai. Karna Prayag Trust, Teynampet. chennai. consult with them abt inter country adoption since it takes time..Goodluck n best wishes :) Google n find their address or check out their fb page. you can find their details..

2 people like this.
  8. Harini73

Harini73 Platinum IL'ite

Hi @viraghu,

Congrats.You will be a mother soon.I am adoptive parent and we adopted my baby girl when she was 8 months old and now she is 6 years.
    She is blooming and a very confident child and she is very precious to us.

what kind of input you are looking for?

12 people like this.
  9. viraghu

viraghu Gold IL'ite

@Harini73, Thanks for your reply. Great to know that u r bringing up an adopted kid!!! I would like to know whether you tell/make the child understand that she/he is from this place thru stories or like that at an early stage.. Can you help me on that how you manage that situation??

10. Harini73

Harini73 Platinum IL'ite

Hi @viraghu,

Even though counselors have advised us to inform the child,we are yet to inform her.But after going to school,she has asked us about birth.Whether she came from my stomach(That is her understanding:crazy)
    Then we explained to her that as amma and appa were not having child and we wanted one and we prayed to Lord Ganesha and he gave us Harini and asked us to take care of her.This we told her in a story form.
    She was happy to hear that and she asked us probably 5 times in different ways and every time in the end we will tell her we love her very much. She will bounce and hug us and tell us she also loves us. Now she has stopped talking about it.

Don't worry about it now,you can frame some stories and explain it to them.You accept the baby as yours and don't even think otherwise.
    When is your baby coming home?Have you seen her? (Boy or Girl)

14 people like this.