Kabir, the mystic!

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by Rrg, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Kabir, the mystic!

The proverb 'brevity is the soul of wit', made popular by Shakespeare's Hamlet, means that articulate and intelligent communication (speech and writing) should use as few words as possible. This adage could aswell be interpreted to mean "brevity is hallmark of wisdom".
    Very many Indian sages packed their wisdom for posterity in short verses coined in simple language, picking up situations that surround our daily lives. Even today, their compositions are relevant and helpful in guiding our lives. Of the many, I am an ardent admirer of two of the sages in particular - Thiruvalluvar from South and Kabir Das from North, who spread worldly wisdom through their short verses, that were known for simplicity as well as relevance to day to day happenings. Wisdom contained in both Thruvalluvar's Thirukkural & Kabir's Dohas are enormous.

I find that while Thirukkural is well known in South, Kabir's verses are not that popular even amongst the well read ones in Southern India. It had been my dream to translate Kabir's verses into Tamil, for the sake of spreading his message amongst the masses. As a forerunner to this project, I plan to present few of Kabir's poems in this forum, alongwith 'my' understanding of them. Kabir's verses may look & sound simple. But given the weight of wisdom they carry and the constraints of my limited vocabulary, perhaps I would atbest be surfing on the fringes only. I would request all our learned friends to come forward and provide their valuable input, to enable us to dive deep into the ocean of Kabir's wisdom and pick up many a precious gems from deep within.

Kabir was born in India in 1398 AD. He lived for 120 years and is said to have relinquished his body in 1518. This period is also said to be the beginning of Bhakti Movement in India. A weaver by profession, Kabir ranks among the world's greatest poets. The Holy Guru Granth Sahib contains over 500 verses by Kabir. The Sikh community in particular and others who follow the Holy Granth, hold Kabir in the same reverence as the other ten Gurus. Kabir openly criticized all sects and gave a new direction to the Indian philosophy. This is due to his straight forward approach that has a universal appeal. It is for this reason that Kabir is held in high esteem all over the world. Kabir touches the soul, the conscience, the sense of awareness and the vitality of existence in a manner that is unequalled in both simplicity and style. All of Kabir's recorded verses are in Hindi. The meter and the simplicity in which they are written, it sometimes becomes very hard to translate. On the face of it, Kabir says not much, but between the lines, he tends to shake up the entire universe. I am grateful to Mr. Rajender Kishan, New York and acknowledge with thanks his compilation that has provided me with a deeper understanding on Kabir & his works.

I would like to proceed further only incase this thread is of interest to IL community. Towards this, would like to receive your comments, without fail.
    Cheers!
    Rrg

தமிழாக்கம்:
    சுற்றிடும் மாவரை யந்திரம் உரைப்பதை எவரும் மதிப்பதில்லை;
    மோதிடும் சக்திகளிடையே எதுவும் முழுதாய் நிலைப்பதில்லை.

Translation :
    Looking at the grinding stones, enlightened Kabir cries
    In the duel between wheels, no one survives.

The Scene: Rural India. A woman is grinding grain in a grinding wheel (iyanthiram - இயந்திரம்) - with one revolving stone with a handle attached, atop a stationary one. She keeps rotating the top stone and feeds the grain. Whatever the grain that she feeds into the machine comes out as flour, after getting crushed between the stones.
    In the two grinding stones, one moving & the other stationary, Kabir sees the duality that we live in - Heaven and Earth, Good and Bad, Male and Female, High and Low, Day and Night, Life and Death, Joy and Sorrow - all around is duality. This play of opposites, this 'Chalti Chakki' (moving mill) gets everyone sooner or later. No one in this world is saved from it's powerful grip. Trapped in this duality, whatever we see is perishable. Nothing remains eternal, permanent in life, excepting the change in itself.
    In the above doha, Kabir mentions about the transient nature of life and feels sorry for his fellow beings, who despite all their so called intelligence, doesn't realise this simple truth and behave as though they are eternal & would live for ever.
    Here, one is reminded of the dialogue between Yama in the form of Yaksha and King Yudhistra (in Bhagvad Gita), when Pandavas were in vanavas. When the Yaksha queries Yudhistra asto what is the greatest wonder, Yudhistra replies that "the greatest wonder is that everyone knows that death is inevitable and yet believes that may be he is immortal".
    Kabir cries because rarely, if ever, does one see the oneness, the Divinity, behind the duality.

Anbudan,
    Rrg

2. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

RRg sir,

thank you so much for giving the explanations for sant Kabirdas' dohas.
    Only yesterday I made a mental note to google search his dohas after reading his explanation for the word "Ram". He says just by uttering "Ra", one's sins disappear. Then when a disciple asks him why we should say "m", he says we need to close the mouth thus to prevent further sins entering.
    Another of his doha that I have heard and like a lot is

Maati kahe kumbhar ko Tu kya roondhe mohe
    Ek din aisaa aayega Mai roondhoo gi tohe.

A person who makes earthen pots from the earth beats the earth under his feet to facilitate fine moulding work. See how the destiny works. His body is decomposed in the same earth after his death.

Please continue posting more dohas and their meanings as their message are applicable even today.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  3. mlalithabalu

mlalithabalu Silver IL'ite

Good work!proceed!
    I also like Kabir very much!such a wonderful poet!
    i also wanted to translate most of his dohas.
    I had a book of him (SAKHI).but i lost it.if anyone knows where i can get it with meaning ,pls post ur reply here.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  4. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Dear Usha & Lalitha,
    Thanks for your FBs.
    Infact, I have translated many of Kabir's Dohas and 'Insh Allah' would like to publish a book on them in Tamil.
    In this forum, would like to post one doha a week so that there is enough time for reflecting on them. As we all know, each of his doha has so much in depth meaning that I only wish more IL friends participate in these discussions to make it more interesting / rewarding.

HTML:
     "Maati kahe kumbhar ko Tu kya roondhe mohe
    Ek din aisaa aayega Mai roondhoo gi tohe". 
    A person who makes earthen pots from the earth beats the earth under his feet to facilitate fine moulding work. See how the destiny works. His body is decomposed in the same earth after his death.

Usha, thanks for posting this nice Doha alongwith your excellent interpretation.

"Clay tells potter, squeeze me as much as you can;
    Remember a day will come when I will also squeeze you, oh man"

To further elaborate, in this doha Kabir looks at clay as the ‘weaker one’ suffering at the hands of the potter, the powerful one at that moment.
    In Tamil there is a saying “ yanaikku oru kalam vandhaal, poonaaikkum oru kaalam varum” – like 'Every dog will have it's day'.
    Kabir's message is that ‘when you are in a stronger position if you care for the weaker ones, the act of kindness would protect you during your bad days’.
    Through this <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">doha, Kabir also </st1:place></st1:City>professes 'universal love and empathy' towards fellow human beings.
    Anbudan,
    Rrg

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  5. mlalithabalu

mlalithabalu Silver IL'ite

somebody translated thirukkural in hindi.it is one the poem syllubus for 12th.
    Felt very happy that u are going to release a book of kabirs dohas.pray god it will also be included 12th syllubus for tamil students and spread the fame of the GREAT KABIR!

6. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Dear Lalitha,
    Thanks for your comments.
    My priority now is to first complete the assignment to my satisfaction. :)
    Cheers!
    Rrg

7. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

"Kaal Kare So Aaj Kar, Aaj Kare So Ub
    Pal Mein Pralaya Hoyegi, Bahuri Karoge Kub"

Translation:
    "Tomorrows work do today, today's work now;
    When future remains uncertain, the work be done how?"

தமிழாக்கம்:
    நாளைய வேலையை இன்றே செய், இன்றையதெதுவோ இப்பொழுது;
    நாளையே நிலையற்றிருக்கும் போது, வேலை* செய்வாய் எப்பொழுது?
    *"வேலை" (work) could be interpreted as "கடமை" ( duty) also.

I have chosen to translate "Pal mein Pralaya Hoyegi", into 'when future remains uncertain' as I firmly believe Kabir would not have meant doomsday, as he himself was full of life.
    In this Doha, Kabir has clearly tried to address the human tendency of laziness, indecisiveness and procrastination.
    Kabir is condemning lethargy. His emphasis is on NOW, the present, the moment as it is. It is in the NOW, that one gets energized to do, to achieve, to realize. As they say, it is NOW or NEVER.
    Keeping this context in mind, this Kabir Doha clearly teaches us to shed all procrastination and lethargy. It motivates us to do whatever we have to do, and do it now. If we will keep postponing it, then the work will never be done.
    'If a work need be done and if there is no valid reason to postpone, better do it now' was one of my FIL's favourite mantras to my children- echoing this doha of Kabir.
    Anbudan,
    Rrg

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  8. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

RRg sir,
    thanks for the lovely explanantion for the doha on clay and potter.

This was the favorite mantra of my father as well and he practised it very well while I am still struggling to follow it.

9. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Dear Usha,
    Thanks for your comments.
    You are right. That was the mantra of the earlier generation - which they could practice it as well.
    I remember a poem from my elementary school days, meant for kids, reflecting these sentiments beautifully.
    "நாளை நாளை என்னாதே;
    நாளை வீணில் போக்காதே;
    நாளை செய்யும் காரியத்தை
    நலமாய் இன்றே முடிப்பாயே.
    நாளை எங்கே போவோமோ?
    நாளை என்ன நேரிடுமோ?"
    I think it was written by திரு. கவிமணி தேசிக விநாயகம் பிள்ளை அவர்கள்.

Cheers!
    Rrg

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  10. Jyothisri

Jyothisri Bronze IL'ite

Rrg sir,

Thank you for highlighting the essence of Kabir's eternal dohas. Kabir ke dohe have been a favorite with me ever since I learned them for the first time in school. I believe that every child should learn the essence of these quartets early in life to help him/her become a responsible individual.

Waiting to see more!