Sarkarai Pongal, make a delicious sweet beginning to your celebrations. A traditional recipe.
- Rice – 2/3 cup
- Moong dhal – 1/3 cup (Dry roast lightly)
- Powdered jaggery – 2 ½ cups
- Cashew broken – 50 gms
- Raisins – 50 gms ,
- Milk – 2cups
- Water – 3 cups
- Ghee – 3 tablespoons (Can add extra)
- Cardamom powder and Nutmeg powder each ½ teaspoon
- Edible camphor(Pachai karpooram) – one pinch (optional )
- Soak rice and dhal for 15 minutes, wash and strain.
- In a big pressure pan (or pressure cooker ) add water, milk, rice and dhal.
- When the mixture starts boiling, close the cooker, put the weight.
- Do not wait for the whistle. At once put the gas on sim and cook for`15 mtes.
- In the meanwhile in another pan take 1/2cup of water and add the powdered jaggery.
- Stir continuously till jaggery dissolves, strain it and keep ready.
- After the pressure drops mash it lightly with a potato masher and add the jaggery water to this mixture .
- Put it back on the flame and boil it along with 2 tablespoon ghee.
- When everything is blended well add the spices and remove.
- In a small pan heat 1 tbsp ghee , lightly roast cashew and raisins and add it to Pongal.