- It’s a South Indian Recipe prepared during the Pongal Festival | Makarsankranti.
- Raw rice- 1 cup
- Moong dal- 2 tbsp
- Jaggery- 3/4 cup
- Cardamom- 3
- Raisins-1 tbsp
- Ghee- 1/4 cup
- Roast moog dal and wash it along with raw rice and pressure cook for about 4 whistles.Remove from pressure and mash with a wooden ladle.
- Meanwhile, soak jaggery in water till its immersed and continue to boil till its dissolved. Filter off impurities and transfer to a kadai again and heat it.
- Add the mashed rice- moong dal and mix with jaggery water and cook adding the ghee slowly.
- Cook till its in payasam consistency. (It will begin to solidify once cooled.
- Add Cardamom, cashew and raisins and serve.