Rice chana dal kheer is a delicious dessert made from rice, bengal gram and jaggery and a very popular sweet dish in Karnataka. It is called akki kadlebele payasa in Kannada and prepared on festive occasions. This kheer is served in temples too. Rice chanadal kheer is also very simple and easy to make and will be relished by sweet lovers. It is sweetened with jaggery and therefore also healthy as jaggery is known for iron content.
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Chana dal/Split bengal gram – ¼ cup
- Grated jaggery – 1 cup
- Milk – 1 cup
- Raisins – 1 tablespoon
- Cardamom powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cashewnuts – 1 tablespoon
- Ghee – 1 tablespoon
- A pinch of saffron strings (optional)
- How to make rice and chanadal kheer (akki kadlebele payasa) recipe
- Heat little ghee in a pan. Fry cashewnuts and raisins and keep it aside.
- Pressure cook raw rice and bengal gram with enough water until soft.
- Pour the cooked rice and bengal gram mixture in a vessel and mash well.
- Add powdered jaggery to the mixture and mix well.
- Heat the vessel on a low flame and keep stirring continuously.
- Add milk, cardamom pdr and cook for another 2-3 minutes on a low flame, till it becomes of even consistency.
- Soak saffron strings in 2 tablespoon of warm milk for 20 minutes and then add to the kheer and mix well.
- Garnish with fried cashewnuts and raisins.
- Serve rice chanadal kheer warm or chilled.