Find the recipe for low-fat Sooji Appam also known as Rava Paniyaram. It’s a fusion of Kerala’s Unniappam, made instantly with Rava in Paniyarakal. This is made for festivals like Karthigai Deepam, Varalakshmi Vratam, Gokulashtami and Navratri.
- Rava/Sooji- 1 cup
- Maida/All purpose flour- 1/2 cup
- Ripe banana- 1 big
- Jaggery- 1/4 cup
- Cardamom- 2
- Take Rava and maida in a bowl and add cardamom powder.
- Soak Jaggery in 1/2 cup water and warm it for few mins until its dissolved.
- Filter off impurities and warm in slow flame. Add the rava-Maida mix and blend.
- Let it rest on for about 15 mins for rava to get soaked up.
- Before frying add the mashed banana andmix.
- The original receipe is to deep fry in oil.
- I used my paniyaram pan adding drops of ghee on each and fried it for a low fat version.