Find recipe for Ragi | Finger Millet Thattai. Thattai is also called Thattu Vadai.
- Finger Millet | Ragi Flour – 2 cups
- Roasted gram dal – 2 tablespoons
- Urad dal – 2 tablespoon.
- Chana dal – 1 tablespoon
- Moong dal – 1 tablespoon
- Curry leaves- a few leaves torn into small pieces.
- Hing – a pinch..1/4 of a teaspoon.
- White sesame seeds – 1 tablespoon.
- Red chilli powder – 1.2 teaspoon..
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – as required.
- Soak the moong and chana dal in water after washing for an hour.
- Roast the urad dal in a dry pan until the raw smell goes and it starts turning golden and the flavor arises.
- If your roasted chana dal is not fresh do roast in a hot pan for a minute..and remove it.
- In the same pan roast the ragi flour for a few minutes.. do one cup at a time, and as it starts gives out of roasted flour flavour remove.
- Cool urad dal and grind it to a fine flour. Cool and grind the roasted chana dal to fine powder.
- Strain the soaked dals. Now in a bowl, add the ingredients one by one, ragi flour, roasted chana dal, urad dal, salt, chilli powder, sesame seeds, hing, curry leaves and the soaked dals.
- Now add a spoon of oil or butter for taste, mix the ingredients by adding water slowly.
- Make a dough that is not stiff like chappati dough nor too lose . a medium dough that can be patted with fingers.
- Now take a aluminium foil or place it on the back of a plate..rub it with water or just rub a drop of oil.
- Now take lemon size balls of dough and pat it thin on the plate, ensure that you can remove it off the plate (it should not be spread too thin as to make it difficult lifting off..)
- Heat a frying pan with oil, fry thattai and just remove them using a dry dosa ladle. , carefully, slip it into the oil..
- Now continue frying other regular thattais.. allow the sounds of frying subside and then allow it to cook and remove on to tissue..cool and store in air tight containers