If you have no batter on hand, no worries. Here is a quick fix idli recipe.
- semolina (rava) – 2 1/2 cups
- buttermilk – 4 cups
- coconut oil or any other – 3 tablespoon
- salt to taste
- urad dal (split black lentils) – 1 teaspoon
- chana dal (split bengal gram) – 1 teaspoon
- mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- thinly sliced fresh coconut – 2 tablespoon
- green chillies , finely chopped – 2
- curry leaves- 4
- fruit salt -1 tablespoon
- coconut oil or any other for greasing
- Combine the rava / semolina, buttermilk, 2 tablespoon of oil and salt together in a bowl.
- Rest it for 30 minutes.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a small pan and add the urad dal, chana dal and mustard seeds for seasoning.
- When the seeds crackle, add the coconut, green chillies and curry leaves and sauté for a few seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the semolina batter and mix well.
- Add the fruit salt and sprinkle a little water over it, when the bubbles form mix it gently.
- Pour spoonfuls of the batter into greased idli moulds and steam for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with a chutney of your choice.