Paal Pongal is a delicious traditional sweet made with rice and milk.
- Milk I litre
- Basmati rice ¼ cup (heaped)
- Sugar ¾ cup
- Saffron ½ tsp
- Boil milk in a heavy vessel.
- Soak the rice for 15 minutes, drain and keep ready.
- Add rice to the boiling milk and cook on a medium flame till it reduced to nearly half the quantity.
- Simmer, add sugar and as soon as it dissolves, remove from flame.
- Add saffron and mix thoroughly.
- Kesar gives a special flavour and aroma to this dish, so do not add any other spices.
- You can add more or less sugar or rice to suit your preference.
- Garnish with sliced nuts.