It is the most popular and easy to make lunch box recipe of south India.
- Thin variety of rice – 1 cup
- Lime juice – 4 teaspoon ( or more)
- Salt to taste
- haldi as required
- Hing – ½ teaspoon
- Green chillies – 3-4 cut into pieces
- To temper: – Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Red chillies – 2 to 3
- Gram dhal – 2 tablespoon ( soak for 30 minutes, drain and use)
- Curry leaves – few
- Optional: – Lightly steamed cubes of carrots, beans & peas – ½ – 1 cup
- To fry in 1 teaspoon oil:
- Cashewnuts, chopped – 1 tablespoon
- Roasted peanuts – 2 tablespoon
- Cook the rice so that the grains are separate.
- Allow it to attain room temperature by spreading it in a large plate.
- Steam the cubes of carrot, beans and peas and keep it aside.
- In 1 teaspoon oil fry peanuts and cashews and keep it aside.
- Make a depression in the centre, add lime juice, haldi, green chillies, salt and hing.
- Heat oil, add tempering ingredients (mustard, red chilly, gram dhal, curry leaves), fry till dhal turns light brown and pour over the ingredients in the depression.
- Add the steamed vegetables and fried nuts.
- Mix thoroughly and serve it.