Back to Main Guide
Kodo Millet is called Varagarisi in Tamil, Kodo millet has numerous health benefits and tops the nutritious chart.
Kodo millet ven pongal is made by substituting kodo millet instead of Rice in our regular Ven Pongal, making the breakfast more nutritious and healthy.
- Kodo milet- 1 cup
- Moong dal -2 tspoon
- Turmeric powder -1 pinch
- Salt – to taste
- Asafortida -1/2 spoon
- Cumin seeds -1 tspoon
- Ginger – 2 spoon finely chopped
- Pepper corns – 1 tspoon
- Curry leaves – few springs
- Ghee/ oil mix- as required
- Cashew – few pieces
- Dry roast moong dal and wash.
- Wash, soak kodo millet in warm water. Heat a pressure cooker, and add the washed moong and kodo millet with pinch of turmeric powder and salt, asafetida and 1 1/4 cup of water.
- Leave for 4 whistles and put off flame.
- Heat ghee, oil mixture in a kadai. Once hot add pepper corns.
- Let it splutter, add ginger and followed by cumin seed and curry leaves.mlastly roast cashew and add to the cooked millet pongal.
- Offered to goddess Lakshmi and we had it for breakfast with peanut chutney.