Kandarappam is a traditional Chettinad snack item which will have a special place among chettinad delicacies during most of the festivals and functions.
- Raw rice – ½ cup
- Boiled rice – ½ cup
- Urad dhal – as given below ( about 2 teaspoon)
- Powdered jaggery – 1 cup
- Grated coconut – 2-3 tablespoon
- Cardamom powder – ½ teaspoon
- Dry ginger powder – ½ teaspoon
- Oil – to deep fry
- Take both rices mixed together in a cup (flat).
- Lightly heap with just enough urad dhal.
- Wash rices, dhal and soak in water for 2 hrs.
- Drain completely.
- Grind, adding coconut without adding water.
- Now grind fine, adding the powdered jaggery little by little.
- The paste must be fine.
- Add cardamom powder and dry ginger powder.
- Rest the dough for 5-6 hrs.
- Heat oil, preferably in a non-stick kaai.
- The batter should be loose enough to be poured in a ladle.
- Pour one small ladleful in hot oil.
- Adjust the flame to low in a few secs, so that the colour does not become very deep.
- Splash oil over it from around so that it puffs up.
- Cook on a low fire, turn over and cook for a few more secs.
- Remove to an absorbent tissue.