Indian milk fudge made with condensed milk and cottage cheese.
The traditional way of making this sweet is very time consuming,but using paneer/cottage cheese make it easy and quick,instead of making paneer at home,you can also use readymade fresh paneer.
- Full fat milk -2 liter
- Condensed milk – 400 ml
- Milk powder – 3 tablespoon
- Citric acid/tatri -1/2 teaspoon
- Cardamom powder -1/2 teaspoon
- Pistachio /almonds -15
- Silvar leaf/vark – 3 (optional)
- In a heavy bottom pan add milk and let it come to a boil.
- Mix citric acid in 1.5 tbsp of water and mix well and keep aside.
- When milk start boiling add the dissolved citric acid in it.
- Cook on low flame till the milk curdle completely.
- Put a muslin cloth over a strainer and strain the curdled milk in it.
- Wash it well with fresh water to remove all the traces of citric acid .
- Tightly tie the cloth and put some weight over it to strain the whey.wait for around 15 minutes.
- In a nonstick pan or heavy bottom pan add the condensed milk and heat it for a minute.
- Add crumbled paneer(no need to mash the paneer,just crumble it) in it and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Keep stirring the mixture otherwise it may stick to the bottom of the pan and burn.
- Now add milk powder and cook till the mixture started to thicken and started leaving the pan and looks lumpy like a dough.
- Add chopped pistachio and cardamom powder.
- Spread the mixture in a greased plate and level it with a greased spatula.
- The thickness of kalakand should be around 1/2 inch .
- Apply silvar vark or sprinkle some chopped nuts over it.
- Let it set for minimum 25- 30 minutes.
- Cut into pieces and serve.