Upma Kozhukattai is another famous breakfast of Tamil Nadu which is also known as steamed dumpling.
Our ancestors always made it a point that we get good amount of carbs to start the day!
Making kozhukattai is no more laborious with the readily available safe to health items in the market.
- Rice Rava (idli rava) – 1 Cup
- Rice flour – 3 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Coconut Milk – 3-4 tbsp (You may use grated coconut too)
- Water – 2.5 cups
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Channa dal – 1/2 tsp
- Dried Red Chilli – 2 Nos.
- Finely cut ginger – 2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 7 nos.
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Heat a wok,add oil. Add mustard seeds.
- Mix rice rava and the rice flour & keep it ready.
- When they start to splutter add the channa dal, broken dried red chillies, curry leaves and finely chopped ginger, a pinch of asafoetida.
- When the dal turns golden brown in color, add the water. Allow to boil. Now add the coconut milk or grated coconut. mix well.
- Add the rice rava little by little while keep stirring (to avoid formation of lumps).
- Cover and cook ook till water evaporates. switch off gas and allow it to cool a bit.
- Heat a steamer. Place the greased plate. Make small ovel shaped kozhukattais out of the made rice rava.
Steam for 7 minutes.
- Yummy & steaming kozhukattai is ready!